Talk

Advanced search

Job Hunting - References

(6 Posts)
tootiredtothinkofanewname Wed 08-Jul-20 19:54:46

Who do you put as your second reference? My first reference is obviously my current head, but I don't know who to put for 2nd. I've been at my current school for 7 years since I first qualified. Job hunting because although I love my school, we all love it and no one ever leaves unless they retire so there is no room for progression.

OP’s posts: |
CheesecakeAddict Thu 09-Jul-20 11:43:22

I put my Head of Department down on one occasion, and on the second occasion I put a member of SLT who knew me well.

tootiredtothinkofanewname Thu 09-Jul-20 20:36:45

Spoke to my head today who said ask my line manager to be 2nd, but it just feels odd putting 2 people from the same place. What's the point? They're going to say the same things!

OP’s posts: |
Margo34 Fri 10-Jul-20 18:07:14

I put both Head and SENCO from my last school as 1st and 2nd reference. The Head had observed me teach and could comment on that side. The SENCO I worked closely with as had A LOT of chn with needs so although she didn't formally observe me teach she had a lot to say different from Head. Got the job so can't have been frowned upon to have references from different staff in one school. Good luck!

Margo34 Fri 10-Jul-20 18:08:28

(plus I liked the SENCO more than deputy head and phase leaders)!!

GinWithRosie Mon 13-Jul-20 10:16:18

Do you have any friends who are teachers at other schools? I was in a similar position a few years ago. I'd been in a school for 8 years and put my Head, obviously.

I also put the head of my previous school, but was told that because I'd not been at that school for over 8 years, they needed a more recent person to be my referee. My best friend is an Assistant Head and SENCO at another local school. I used her...that was fine 🤷‍♀️

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in