Talk

Advanced search

Summer catch up plans - has my Hod interpreted this correctly?

(11 Posts)
victimofpoetry Tue 23-Jun-20 16:59:08

So when Gavin Williamson agreed with the journalist from TES last week that schools should be getting in touch with all pupils and learning what they need to do to catch up over the summer, what did he mean? Do we even know?

My HoD, and therefore presumably the head, seem to think he means we need to be preparing work packs to be sent home over the summer as 'in the light of the recent announcement' this will be required so we need to get ahead.

I have set a huge amount of work (mainly in the form of narrated powerpoints that guide students through a series of tasks to be submitted) and more than half of the students have done barely anything, with only a tiny fraction doing all of it. I just don't see the point in creating yet more tasks that won't be done. In fact, those students most in need of a holiday because they've been working hard throughout will be the ones most likely to do it all...

Anyway, nothing I can do about it but I just wondered whether others were being similarly directed or not?

OP’s posts: |
blueglassandfreesias Tue 23-Jun-20 19:02:19

We’re just inviting parents in (and their children) And telling them what they need to do over the summer to prepare for Sept.

cansu Tue 23-Jun-20 19:47:41

Nothing has been said about this in my school. I think any work packs that were prepared would not even be opened. Most of these announcements are just headline grabbers and are pretty meaningless. Your head would be very stupid to direct the staff to prepare work that won't be done.

drspouse Tue 23-Jun-20 20:24:29

Presumably you could just say "here's what you missed" and set the work they haven't done, again?

samlovesdilys Tue 23-Jun-20 21:42:54

We are putting together the knowledge organisers covered this year and a page with ideas of activities (range from create a timeline, watch a video, answer a question...) in preparation for September. It will go into SMHW and firmly suggested students use it. . All classes yr8-11 and 13 will start the new year with a baseline assessment. We have been setting work weekly throughout lockdown but no assessments so it will be needed to track progress next year.
But we are very aware that staff, students (and parents) need the summer holiday break so it is still quite low key.
Still v much expecting some students to return in September having done nothing since March 🤦🏼‍♀️

holidaydisaster2020 Tue 23-Jun-20 22:38:27

The thing is, if they haven't done it in the last three months then they're not going to do it in the summer holiday says. We're in a better position than most in that all our children are already well outside of their age related curriculum so we've always taught from wherever they are. So September will be no different.
It's heartbreaking to see children that we worked so hard with for the first part of the year, proudly announcing that they haven't picked up a pencil since March.

I have zero hopes for the summer holidays. I'll carry on setting work and taking learning packs if they specifically ask for it, but not otherwise.

PumpkinPie2016 Wed 24-Jun-20 14:33:32

We are setting bridging projects for 11 into 12 and 12 into 13. No mention of anything else.

Problem is, lots of kids have done none of what we have been setting so chances of them doing stuff over summer is close to zero!

Luckily, our head is very sensible and she won't create work for us.

urbanmist Wed 24-Jun-20 14:46:18

Work packs? Ridiculous. Surely they just need to go through everything that has already been set and ... do it!

Cat0115 Tue 30-Jun-20 14:05:27

What is the out come they are expecting? Is it a back Co vetting exercise? Work packs are a ridicous idea. Is the Leadership group very inexperienced? Or just needing to look busy? You've set the work already presumably. Fashion a large, electronic neon arrow pointing to work you've already set and then switch off your lap top until very late August. You need a mental and physical break. Lazy isn't going to suddenly become motivated because you've set new work is it? 😊

samlovesdilys Tue 30-Jun-20 14:33:39

For us it is all stuff they have done this year, nothing new...if they have worked during lockdown should be nothing more than a glance over and revisit- for those who are struggling because they are looking after siblings or had illness it gives them a chance to start September up to date. For the remaining ones I doubt they will do much...we will start September with a baseline assessment (but they haven't done any real assessment since March so not a bad thing...)
I raised the point that as a parent my kids needed a break and plans were slimmed down somewhat!
We will see I guess...

CoRhona Wed 01-Jul-20 01:21:15

Our head would not want staff doing that. We have on our website already reading lists for Yrs 7-9, and Year 11 transition work in the form of A level prep and reading per subject. Years 10 & 12 will have work but as they are in school that will be more targeted.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in