Talk

Advanced search

Maternity Return

(6 Posts)
CardiffRosie Fri 19-Jun-20 06:38:03

If you leave a teaching role for mat leave, are you entitled to return to the same year group on your return? So if a teacher left year 6, would they be guaranteed a role in year 6 when they return from mat leave?
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
CardiffRosie Fri 19-Jun-20 10:29:14

Anyone?! 😂😂

Cookiecrisps Fri 19-Jun-20 19:06:45

Not in my experience. My contract states that my role is as a class teacher (even though I was as teaching PPA cover within the school before lockdown.) It means the head can direct the teacher to work in any year group. It would be good if it was a big move between year groups (e.g. year 6 down to year 3) for the head to discuss it with the teacher first. Usually they would be given time to observe in the year group (can’t happen at the moment due to bubbles.)

skylarkdescending Fri 19-Jun-20 19:21:08

As PP said, you are entitled to return to the same role if you return within 6 months. If your role is 'class teacher' then the head can usually direct you to work in any year group. I will try and find the exact wording but I think if you return after 6 months but within a year, you are entitled to a role on the same level.

skylarkdescending Fri 19-Jun-20 19:23:25

Here is the guidance...

https://neu.org.uk/media/2551/view#page36

CardiffRosie Fri 19-Jun-20 22:42:07

That's great, thank you!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in