Talk

Advanced search

Two interviews in one week. What to tell the first school?

(13 Posts)
GoodbyeToCare Mon 15-Jun-20 14:57:51

I have two interviews this week,one tomorrow and one on Thursday. What do I say to the first school and what do I do if they offer me the job?

This would be easier if the interviews were the other way round!

OP’s posts: |
ohthegoats Mon 15-Jun-20 17:06:03

Just tell them. I've got two interviews this week, if you are able to make me an offer I wouldn't be able to get back to you until Friday afternoon. If I were lucky enough to be offered both, a decision would need some discussion with my partner/need some consideration.

LolaSmiles Mon 15-Jun-20 18:59:34

It depends on what the market is like in your area.

If you were an art teacher in my area then not accepting job 1, if offered, would probably mean the offer is withdrawn.

If you're an English, Maths or Science teacher in my area and it's a classroom teacher position then you could be a bit more honest because there's not enough good candidates.

GoodbyeToCare Mon 15-Jun-20 19:23:41

I'm a primary teacher and jobs are as rare as hens teeth round here.

The first job is temporary for a year and the second is permanent. There are pros and cons to both and I am really confused just now.

The job I'm in is temp too and at the moment only guaranteed until October which worries me. There's a chance of an extension but it will be beyond impossible to find a job here later in the year.

OP’s posts: |
Malbecfan Mon 15-Jun-20 20:27:01

I too would be honest, especially if it is only temporary. I have been in that position. I had an interview 250 miles from home, but near to where my then new DH was working. It was a HoD job. They interviewed some people one day, some the next. When I was around 80 miles from home, they rang to offer me the job. I had an interview in the local grammar school the next day. I really didn't want to move, but DH & I agreed that whoever got the first job would move. The school wasn't overjoyed but said they would give me 24 hours.

I went to the interview, which was a 15 minute walk from my house. From minute 1, I knew it wasn't for me. The school was lovely, the staff were lovely but the HoD was the polar opposite of me and very much a "this is how it's done" sort of person. I thought long & hard at lunchtime and then when I went into the interview, I told the Head immediately that I was sitting on a HoD offer and thought that would be the better position for me. She was lovely. She said she would happily employ me but would not blame me for going for the promotion. She said that if the move didn't work out, to get in contact with her as she was always on the lookout for keen people.

So, 22 years ago, I sold up, moved 250 miles away and took the promotion. With the benefit of hindsight, it worked well. I decided that being honest was the best policy and both schools appreciated it. I'm still in the "new" area although at a different school. Heads talk to one another. If you mislead one, word gets around, so in your position, with the first interview make it clear that you are really after a permanent position. You never know...!

GoodbyeToCare Mon 15-Jun-20 21:14:05

Thank you @Malbecfan

Although the second school is permanent there is a major bit of the job that makes me hesitate even though I can see the school from my house. The head is lovely but this bit of the job really is a hurdle.

The first school is a 'normal' class teacher post and appeals much more but it's temp. I know the school well and some of the staff. This is so difficult!

OP’s posts: |
Tippexy Sun 21-Jun-20 17:08:24

How did you get on @GoodbyeToCare?

PoloNeckKnickers Sun 21-Jun-20 19:15:09

I can see the school from my house

That would've put me off!!

What happened in the end, @GoodbyeToCare?

GoodbyeToCare Sun 21-Jun-20 19:32:13

Thanks for thinking of me.

I didn't get the first job but was offered two days a week instead. Sadly that's not enough hours for me.

The second interview was hell! It felt like a complete out of body experience and I cringe thinking about it. I should hear tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I'm fortunate that I still have a job to go to in August so it's not all bad.

OP’s posts: |
GoodbyeToCare Sun 21-Jun-20 19:33:22

PoloNeckKnickers

*I can see the school from my house*

That would've put me off!!

What happened in the end, *@GoodbyeToCare*?


We live in a tiny village where the school only has 7 pupils smile

OP’s posts: |
minielise Thu 02-Jul-20 11:39:17

How did you get on at the second school?

pandora206 Thu 02-Jul-20 12:01:06

I was in that situation many years ago. I had three teaching interviews on consecutive days. I had had a chance to look around schools 2 and 3 and decided I really wanted job no. 2 (which was at a newish school with a young lively staff). I was offered the job in school 1 directly after the interview (in the days where candidates were kept waiting outside to see what happened). I was honest with the panel and asked if I could let them know in a couple of days as I had other interviews. They said no - and were not at all impressed - so I turned the job down.

The following day at job interview no. 2 they asked about the previous interview (I must have mentioned it when I'd looked around the school). It was quite a trump card to say I'd turned it down because I really wanted the job at their school. Fortunately I was successful and never looked back. It was a gamble though but I would always have wondered 'what if' if I hadn't taken the risk.

I would have been prepared to take supply work if I hadn't been successful with any of the jobs. I'd just moved to the area and was finding my way around the local system.

OP good luck no matter what you choose to do.

pandora206 Thu 02-Jul-20 12:02:29

Sorry, just seen your update OP. At least you know - and can be philosophical about 'what will be'.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in