Talk

Advanced search

Back to teaching but no wrap around care for own kids

(12 Posts)
ginforall Thu 14-May-20 17:05:51

Hi, myself and husband are both secondary teachers. Not sure what the plans are yet for yr 10 and 12 at our school, so not sure how much we'll be needed or when. Our yr 2 son will have to go to school under the key worker provision once we are back in, but there is no breakfast or after school club for the foreseeable future (which we usually use each day). So his school day will start after ours and end at the same time (luckily only a 10 min drive away). Any one in a similar situation?

Not sure whether to mention this to my school now (whilst they are presumably in the planning stages) or wait to see the plan and then try to figure it all out from there.

Also worried that they will not be able to offer breakfast and after school in Sept... but who knows what will be going on by then, so saving that worry for a later date.

OP’s posts: |
GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 14-May-20 17:09:31

If you do speak to your employer, present then with a solution. Maybe one of you starts a bit later and the other finishes earlier?

Bedsheets4knickers Thu 14-May-20 17:10:56

Yes or do alternate days

Devlesko Thu 14-May-20 17:37:52

I doubt they'll be doing normal hours anyway.
When they are childcare will be open again.
In the meantime You could get a childminder for after school the EYFS goes up to 8.
Or ask if you or dh can work from home?

MiniChoc Thu 14-May-20 17:45:55

Our school is opening 10-2 so that helps me. You'll have to speak to your heads and ask to come in late/leave early- I'm sure they'll understand.

MiniChoc Thu 14-May-20 17:46:52

I've also thought about wraparound care from September too and know if they don't do it, my boss is going to have to be very accommodating to allow me to start late and finish early. But like you said- that's a worry for later down the line.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 14-May-20 17:52:38

I’m a childminder and it hasn’t been confirmed that we can accept multi setting children yet. Something the government didn’t realise we did.... hmm

So just in case anyone reading this considers this a done deal, hold fire for a few more days until confirmed.

rawlikesushi Thu 14-May-20 17:53:57

I thought keyworker provision was supposed to be for an extended day? We offer 7:30-5. If they don't currently offer it, it might be due to lack of demand - they might have to reconsider if enough keyworkers push for it.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 14-May-20 17:57:07

(Also the EYFS goes up to 5 but I know what you meant- cms also take older children usually to about 11)

897654321abcvrufhfgg Fri 15-May-20 05:45:52

Childminder not an option as children can only attend one setting. Otherwise a child in a class bubble of 15 at school attending a childminder who has 5 children could be massively increasing their bubble of children

motherrunner Fri 15-May-20 09:37:35

I’m in the same situation. Have a daughter in Yr 4 and a son in Yr 1. Have been told the school can’t accommodate DD as they need the space for nursery-Yr 1. No wraparound. I do not have an understanding head. I am however, and from the start of lockdown, been teaching live lessons to Yrs 9-12 so hoping I could continue to do this.

ginforall Fri 15-May-20 10:30:13

I've been in touch with my school and they have been very understanding and sent a reassuring reply, which has out my mind at ease for now.

@rawlikesushi my DS school have been very clear from the start that they would not be offering the wraparound care for the key worker provision and it is school hours only. Now they are planning to have more students in they say they can't offer it as it would mean students not being in the same small groups all day as directed by the government guidance.

That's not good @motherrunner, are they stopping all key worker provision then or just not accepting more? Are they allowed to do that?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in