Advanced search

Anyone been employed during covid? Advice

(18 Posts)
Darklava09 Wed 06-May-20 08:15:17

was offered a non teaching role back in feb. There was delays with my references and then covid happened.
I was given a conditional job offer by Local authority HR a few months ago. The school has received all references now and when I have asked for a start date and unconditional offer I have been told I can’t be given one due to covid? They are stating that I can’t be set up and have a proper induction and be given the right equipment and will
Let me know when they know anymore information.

I understand this to a degree but I know other friends who have still moved jobs during covid and have gone on to successfully start the job.

I am worried because
1. It’s an academy and I think they may drag me out until a September start due to financial purposes
2. I’m worried that I may not even have a job because I haven’t signed anything yet to say I have accepted the job, had no unconditional offer. I only have a string of emails to say they still want me to work for them but I’m not sure if that’s enough.

Any advice as I’ve asked for updates several times but still can’t get a proper answer.
Thank you

OP’s posts: |
Darklava09 Thu 07-May-20 09:08:49

Anyone sad

OP’s posts: |
Eeples Fri 08-May-20 01:06:21

Sorry. I can't offer any advice. Do you belong to a union. Could you contact them?

spanieleyes Fri 08-May-20 17:29:42

We started someone on this week, having interviewed pre lockdown. We just waited for references and dbs and they then started. They joined the keyworker rota and have been in school paired with an experienced member of staff.

Littlebluebird123 Fri 08-May-20 17:34:18

That doesn't seem completely right as it's possible to employ you.
My DH 'started' his job after Easter. Straight onto the rota for being in school, short induction when he arrived and got on with it.
TA at my school 'started' two weeks into lockdown. Her induction will happen when we return. She's been given online training to do in the meantime.

It does seem like they are putting it off to save money.

You aren't in a great position if you haven't signed your contract though. I'm sorry they are being so unhelpful. I presume you've asked for your contract?

MiniChoc Fri 08-May-20 18:10:35

I would send a very direct email saying, can I just confirm my employment with you is secure? As I haven't signed a contract. Happy to wait for a start date as long as that's the case.

Darklava09 Sat 09-May-20 07:30:08

This is what I’ve thought tbh.

I can easily be added to the key worker rota and my job is safeguarding so I would guess there is lots to be done in terms of ensuring safety of children especially in this climate.

I wouldn’t mind being told I had to wait but at least I know.

I’m not part of a union which I will be joining in looking into the best one.

I will send another email out asking about a contract. They said prior that it was difficult to complete start dates right now. I reckon they are waiting on the government announcement the weekend. I don’t want to keep emailing and look like I’m being a pain in the backside but it is unsettling as I haven’t signed a contract or had an unconditional offer so I know they could decide to pull the job !

OP’s posts: |
MiniChoc Sat 09-May-20 14:58:03

It's ok to want job security. Because if not you could be looking for another job, and they'll understand that.

I recommend Unison, I'm in a safeguarding role too and have found them great when I needed advice.

Darklava09 Sat 09-May-20 15:10:04

Ahh that’s good to know @Minichoc
I will look at unison.

The thing is I’ve seen another local school who advertised and interviewed after I got this job and that person started last week!!

If it’s a September start they need to tell me because to drag it out is unfair as it stops be potentially applying for anything else, stops promotion at my current workplace as they won’t think I’d want it if I’m leaving and also luckily my manager currently has been fine about me
Leaving but imagine if they wanted to be funnny!

I’m waiting to see what Boris plans are and give them a week to give me an update. If not I may cut my losses and look elsewhere

OP’s posts: |
StaffAssociationRepresentative Sat 09-May-20 15:19:41

Yes basically until you have a signed contract the academy will spin it out for a long possible.

Darklava09 Sat 09-May-20 15:47:08

Why is this? Solely for money purposes? Do they no worry that I won’t want to accept after all this time or do they not care that much? confused

It can’t help but make you think if they don’t mind leaving people hanging and not really being overly professional what it would be like when you actually work for them? Hmmm

OP’s posts: |
StaffAssociationRepresentative Sat 09-May-20 16:51:31

A lot of decisions are made linked to school budget.

If you have experience etc they should at least give to a start date, even if it is September.

Otherwise I would look for similar roles in other schools just in case.

When furlough ends I think there will be lots of people looking for work - you need to be selfish

Darklava09 Sat 09-May-20 18:12:55

Yes I will. Thank you for your advice.

I will be happy with a start date but to have me sitting here without one is unfair especially when I have friends who have gone on to start their positions within school. I can’t really understand it but hey.

Guess that’s academies for you. wink

OP’s posts: |
Darklava09 Tue 19-May-20 08:23:27


I’ve been told that they haven’t agreed on a start date yet and I have an pre conditional offer so that’s enough.

I won’t receive a contract until I have a start date and they are saying it’s down to numerous reasons not being able to get hardware, induction ect.

They said they want a September start but can’t even guarantee that? confused

I feel like they are dangling me by a thread with no regard for my current situation with my employer who also needs to re recruit for my post.

Any advice. I feel like saying leave it but I don’t have another job to go to anyways!

OP’s posts: |
SansaSnark Tue 19-May-20 10:49:01

This doesn't sound great at all- I would start applying to other jobs, and let them know that you will do this until you have a contract and a guaranteed start date.

I agree they are treating you very badly!

PumpkinPie2016 Tue 19-May-20 14:30:49

They are treating you badly. We had appointed someone to start after Easter and he has started (although in a virtual manner!). He isn't physically in school but he is working on things at home.

Similarly, we needed someone for Sept who has been appointed and given a September start date. They will start on 1st Sept in whatever manner we are working in.

I'd not say anything to them yet but look around and if you get another offer that is confirmed, take it.

GivenchyDahhling Tue 19-May-20 19:56:35

That’s really poor - I’m not sure how hard these roles are to come by where you are, but if this is how they treat you pre-employment I would be questioning working for them and start (discreetly) applying for other positions. Legally I don’t think you have a leg to stand on if no start date had been agreed but I can see it’s very frustrating and quite clear that they want to save costs/on-boarding admin.

Darklava09 Wed 20-May-20 08:20:24

The roles come up every couple of months but are not easy to get. Everyone wants a non teaching role around here in safeguarding... they are like gold dust. I left education a few years ago and it’s took almost 4 years to get a job back in education so sad

But I do agree if this is how they treat people pre employment kind of speaks volumes of how they may be. I know legally I am
Ok as I haven’t signed a thing and this is what I keep saying they could withdraw at any time.

I’ve started looking and applying for other posts now as if I am able to get a contract after clearances then I’d then have security which is what they are no doing. I think it’s the fact that they keep changing there mind and never keep me in the loop... it’s crazy and really unprofessional in my opinion.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in