Talk

Advanced search

Online interview. Any tips?

(8 Posts)
Poetryinaction Thu 30-Apr-20 17:08:48

Hi,
I have an interview next week via GoogleMeet. Any tips? I assume they will send me an invite before. They have also asked for a series of 3 lessons plans and resources emailed in the day before.
I will get the kids out the house. Anything else? I thought I would keep my resources fairly straightforward and avoid showing off any fancy videolinks etc, as I want it to run smoothly, and they said they'd love to see what I would do in the classroom.
Is it possible to view resources whilst in the meeting?
There will be 3 interviewers plus me in the meeting.
Any tips gratefully received. Thanks

OP’s posts: |
FTMF30 Thu 30-Apr-20 19:26:14

Have you used Google Meet before? If not, I would have a little plat around on it before hand.

I had an interview once on Blue Jeans. Had never heard of it before but assumed it would be like Zoom, Microsoft teams, etc. It was pretry different and made for an akward interview. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail aye🤷‍♀️

Poetryinaction Thu 30-Apr-20 19:42:51

Good idea, thanks. I'll get my sister to set up a practice beforehand.

rillette Thu 30-Apr-20 20:10:03

You can share your screen on Google Meet. We're using it for live teaching and staff meetings, it's alright but a bit 'clunky'!

Poetryinaction Thu 30-Apr-20 20:11:18

Oh right. I definitely need a practice run then.

Whatelsecouldibecalled Sat 02-May-20 03:17:04

Put trousers on!!!

But seriously have a play with google meet beforehand. Prepare everything.

Good luck

Poetryinaction Sat 02-May-20 08:47:30

Thank you.

roaringwater Thu 07-May-20 16:14:13

I had a 2 hour selection panel for a job last week, via Zoom.

My advice would echo everyone else about having a practice run so you know exactly how the app works.

Also, give some thought to where you're going to have your interview, i.e. which chair will you sit in, where does the light fall, what height is your laptop vs the height of you? You might need to play with this a bit - I ended up with the laptop on a pile of 6 hardback books so it was the right height for me not to look up or down at it.

Make sure you're looking at the webcam when you're talking (which feels REALLY weird - it's instinctive to want to look at the person you're talking to).

Check what your normal makeup looks like on the webcam - I find mine drains me so I ramped up the blusher & lipstick a bit.

Also, it's surprisingly knackering.

Good luck - I hope it goes well for you.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in