Talk

Advanced search

Free ebooks apart from the Audible ones?

(13 Posts)
StrawberryJam200 Mon 27-Apr-20 16:46:10

Hi! Any School Librarians or English teachers out there who've found a decent source of free, downloadable KS3/4 fiction apart from Audible's offering? The latter is very biased towards classics, which many students will find a bit 'hard work'. We want whole books, preferably ebooks but audio might work for some.

We're getting emails saying "Miss, I've finished all the extra books you let us borrow, what do I do now?"

Obviously we'll encourage them to access local library online services but that requires several steps before you can actually get to a book, especially if you're not already a Library Services member.

Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
StrawberryJam200 Mon 27-Apr-20 16:52:22

Oh and meant to say it needs to be a vetted link, have already found safeguarding issues with some lists accessible via a reputable body's web page!

DandelionBurdock Mon 27-Apr-20 17:18:50

We've found this successful with KS3.

readon.myon.co.uk/library/browse.html

StrawberryJam200 Mon 27-Apr-20 17:56:47

@DandelionBurdock thank you will investigate that!

Danglingmod Mon 27-Apr-20 17:58:00

The World Book Day website has a small but very good collection... Will find a link.

Danglingmod Mon 27-Apr-20 17:59:53

Audio books here

www.worldbookday.com/world-of-stories/

MyHipsDontLieUnfortunately Mon 27-Apr-20 20:49:40

I've only found lower reading age ones on the myon link.

MyHipsDontLieUnfortunately Mon 27-Apr-20 20:50:43

It's a shame public libraries aren't being more proactive about enabling people to join electronically. I'm a member of its but because I haven't signed up for ebooks I can't now do it.

StrawberryJam200 Mon 27-Apr-20 21:32:00

Thanks all for your responses.

Just spent some time on myon and even the Longer Books section only seems to go to about AR Level 3? Some great books on there for any struggling Y7s and Y8s though, thanks!

Our county library service apparently lets you download books if you're a member, and you can join online at the moment. It's just a lot of steps compared to simply clicking on a link, and we've had to clarify whether you have to be over 16 as stated on its website - you don't.

The World Book Day site only has 3 books under the Teen heading, and they're shorter reads? Great, but limited.

So am still looking for some higher level books to keep our more able readers going....

TheWooisStrong Tue 28-Apr-20 10:11:19

Gutenberg?

StrawberryJam200 Tue 28-Apr-20 12:29:29

@TheWooisStrong thanks, just had a look. Quite hard to search, but seems to be the classics again? (Of course - they're the ones which are out of copywrite!) great for some but not for many.

Possibly Black Beauty, Huckleberry Finn, Little Women...oh, and I noticed Peter Rabbit 🥕!

Off to look up AR levels for those and also to Google "how to interest modern teenagers in literary classics"!

..... I did, there's a Wikihow on it!
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.wikihow.com/Encourage-a-Teen-to-Read-Classic-Literature%3famp=1

TheWooisStrong Tue 28-Apr-20 12:36:25

Theres a LOT of classic Sci-Fi on there too, might interest a few of them?

This site is mainly short stories:
www.freesfonline.net

A lot of good fiction for free here:
www.baen.com

StrawberryJam200 Tue 28-Apr-20 12:52:26

Thanks @TheWooisStrong . Just realised I wrote copywrite instead of copyright, can see how my neutrons got mixed up butconfused

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in