Talk

Advanced search

Returning to the U.K.

(10 Posts)
Penyu Sun 26-Apr-20 01:07:03

I am looking to return to the UK this summer if possible (lots of reasons, mostly around the current virus situation).
I have spent half of my career in international schools, and when in England, I was in the independent system.
I have QTS and a solid, verified work history (not sure if that mean anything!)
I am really worried about what salary I might be offered because I have not taught in the U.K. state system. Do academy trusts have more flexibility about what they offer?
I have a speciality which is in demand so I hope that I am a reasonably attractive prospect 🙏. I do not want to be starting at the bottom of the salary MPS scale after 20+ years 😱
I am happy to take on positions of responsibility etc or Middle leadership.
Would I be able to be at the top of the main scale at the schools discretion?
Would I be too expensive in any case? I have heard stories of school avoiding older teachers because they are too expensive to hire.
So nervous about it all.
I am expecting an exodus of international teachers returning to the UK next year... Wanting to be ahead of the game.
Any advice would be really gratefully received.

OP’s posts: |
Littlelot Sun 26-Apr-20 08:09:52

It’s up to each school. I came back after 6yrs abroad 4yrs ago and my head put me at the top of mps but I think legally wasn’t obliged too. If you’re in a shortage subject you will have more chance of getting a decent pay deal. Also apply for HOD and TLRs some heads see the international experience as a something valuable. It will depend on how you sell your skills and experience in your application. Good luck!

PotteringAlong Sun 26-Apr-20 08:13:54

What exam boards do you teach? Do you follow the U.K. curriculum?

Penyu Sun 26-Apr-20 16:15:53

Thanks both!
I'm in a British school, have only taught English curriculum overseas.
I'm primary but work through KS2/3 (year 8, prep in U.K.), Maths.
I'm hoping the maths will help me along a bit...🙏
I would be looking for ks2 class or maths lead, or ks3 maths.
It's good to hear schools have a bit of discretion.... if they want.

pfrench Sun 26-Apr-20 20:25:34

Interesting that you think people will be coming back to the UK. I know lots of people wanting to leave!

PotteringAlong Sun 26-Apr-20 22:26:23

The thing is, because of the lack of middle schools, you need to pick a key stage. If you go primary you cannot just teach maths, but if you have no GCSE and/or A-level experience I cannot imagine any secondary school will employ you.

I think you need to decide whether you want to teach primary or secondary and go from there.

Penyu Sun 26-Apr-20 22:28:20

Interesting that you think people will be coming back to the UK. I know lots of people wanting to leave!
I think a lot of smaller international schools won't survive what's coming. Where I live there's currently a petition circulating amongst fee-paying parents to reduce fees to 50% which is going to be presented to the government. I don't think much will come of it as these schools are all private business, but last I heard there were close to 20 000 signatures!
Schools with high amount of expat families are going to be in trouble because a lot of the expat contracts (and nice packages including Private schooling) have gone in the last few weeks.
Hence if these schools close, teachers will be on the move, some back to the U.K.
So some people are looking around and feeling very uncertain about what is coming. For me, I'd rather be back in the U.K. in a safe job.

Penyu Sun 26-Apr-20 22:34:29

I think you need to decide whether you want to teach primary or secondary and go from there.

Yes, you are totally right. Ideally I'd go back onto a prep school but I am not even convinced private schools in the U.K. are much more of a safe bet sadly. Jobs are thin on the ground!
I'll throw my hat into the ring for any middle schools which look good but it will no doubt be primary.
It is so worrying because to be honest no one even knows what the travel situation will be in August, trying to plan an international move is 😳

Soontobe60 Sun 26-Apr-20 22:35:36

You might get a position in a 'challenging' secondary school teaching maths, or as a pp has said, in a Primary teaching the full curriculum. In my experience, academies often pay less than LA schools. Because you've not taught in the UK for a decade, I very much doubt you us get paid more than an RQT as you have a limited track record.

PotteringAlong Mon 27-Apr-20 07:36:19

Can you move anywhere in the U.K. or do you have a place you want to return to? Have you looked at the TES jobs to see what’s about?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in