Talk

Advanced search

Shielding when schools reopen

(5 Posts)
Edujaded Mon 13-Apr-20 09:23:07

Just hoping for some advice/speculation. I have an underlying health condition and received the sheilding letter. I'm a head of department, core subject. So long as my school is only open for a handful of students, I can still do my job working from home setting up the department for online lessons.

My concern is what happens when we eventually return? I'd feel very nervous about the risk to my health (and my children's, as they may have my condition too) of returning to a classroom even if we can practice social distancing.

Realistically, there is only so much use I could be working from home once we return.

Should I be preparing to be made redundant?

OP’s posts: |
Gallade Mon 13-Apr-20 14:40:40

In the kindest possible way, please try not to worry yet about redundancy etc. We ultimately have absolutely no way of knowing how this will play out- will we go back May half term? In July and work through summer hols? In September? Nobody knows.

I'm in a similar boat but just sitting it out for now. For as long as you can work from home and schools stay shut, do that. When there is a definite re-opening date then you can assess the state of affairs then.

I know it's a worrying time.

Edujaded Mon 13-Apr-20 15:17:10

Thank you Gallade, sorry to hear you're in the same situation. It's financial planning I'm interested in as my partner works part time. I'm not distressed, just hoping to gather information and be pragmatic about the options ahead. I think it's likely schools will reopen sooner than anticipated.

Russell19 Mon 13-Apr-20 15:19:48

I'm in the same situation. I'm hoping guidance will be updated and unions have been really helpful so far. Are you part of NEU?

Although we can't shield forever, this virus isn't going away.

Edujaded Mon 13-Apr-20 17:04:17

Hi Russell 19. Yes, I'm a member of the neu and their guidance is a simplified explanation of the job retention scheme. This states shielding teachers could be furloughed. They don't appear to be venturing much further with advice beyond that. It doesn't seem sustainable that the government would be able to extend the scheme to cover the period of time needed until a vaccine is in use and having effect. I think redundancy is a possibility looking beyond September.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in