Talk

Advanced search

Nursery teachers? Remote teaching help

(9 Posts)
ellie2201 Wed 01-Apr-20 22:19:04

I teach the Nursery class in an independent school (3+ until they start reception) and I’m wondering how to tackle the remote learning we’ll be expected to do from the start of the summer term. What is your school doing? So much of the day is spent with play and story telling etc, how specific should I be in what I tell the parents to do?

OP’s posts: |
SparklyOnTheInside Thu 02-Apr-20 15:50:03

15 hours or 30? Or a mixture?

Because that will make a radical difference I think

SparklyOnTheInside Thu 02-Apr-20 15:53:41

You could do a "story of the week" and plan creative activities around it.

Some phase 1 phonics games like these:
www.bbc.co.uk/teach/school-radio/eyfs-listening-skills/zbc4y9q

and give them lots of things to "dip" into, while making sure that they understand the free play aspect should be majority.

Does that help?

SparklyOnTheInside Thu 02-Apr-20 15:56:01

You could also look at the Poetry Basket
www.makebelievearts.co.uk/poetry-basket

See if there is a group membership or something? Then your children could learn a poem per week with their carer

ellie2201 Thu 02-Apr-20 16:11:48

@SparklyOnTheInside, yes that is very helpful. I did think about choosing a nursery rhyme or story per week but that’s not what we would have been doing - our topic was meant to be the seaside but I think the stories would be easier. These are exceptional times so I don’t think anyone will mind me changing the planning!

I have children in for two mornings and some in for five full days. I think I would offer the same activities for all but add some extensions for those that are starting reception in September.
Thanks.

wowsaidtheowl Thu 02-Apr-20 19:29:49

We’re doing an activity a day published on Tapestry with feedback if parents put up an observation or ask for support. There’s a timetable e.g Monday phonics/listening activity, Tuesday creative. Teachers are recording challenges, stories, phonics sessions.
Most parents engaged and happy and some very unhappy that it’s not enough.

thepurplepenguin Thu 02-Apr-20 19:39:57

I am posting two specific activities a day, one is either Phase 1 Phonics or Maths and the other is another area of learning spread throughout the week (ie PD Monday, Creative Tuesday, UTW Wednesday). I have also put together a bank of 'learning through play' ideas (such as building dens, sensory play etc) and invite them to choose one of those per day as well. I will provide more formal extension activities for the older children next term as well. Haven't had any complaints yet but it's early days I suppose!

ellie2201 Thu 02-Apr-20 19:42:27

Thank you both. It’s helpful to know what others are doing as I felt really overwhelmed by it all.
Xx

SparklyOnTheInside Thu 02-Apr-20 20:55:25

Good luck with it smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in