Talk

Advanced search

How to remotely deliver content

(6 Posts)
PumpkinPie2016 Fri 27-Mar-20 19:57:56

Hi all smile

In these very strange times we find ourselves in, I am trying to work out the best way forward with my Y12 class. I teach a science of that's relevant.

This first week, I hav me actually been on compassionate leave so haven't been in contact with the students. I set them plenty of revision and consolidation work before school finished.

My next challenge though is to deliver new content remotely. I can't leave it all for when we eventually return to school due to time constraints.

I have internet, laptop,access to teams etc.

Does anyone have advice/tips on the best way forward?

OP’s posts: |
Rosieposy4 Fri 27-Mar-20 20:28:02

Voice overs on ppts
Add in videos ( I’m Biology so amoeba sisters and crash course feature amongst dnaftb )
Animate stuff
Choose the easier y13 topics

Whynotnowbaby Fri 27-Mar-20 20:32:18

My school is using google classroom, you can connect through the calendar then to google hangouts and teach live lessons. The kids and parents have been very positive about it as they have valued the personal contact. We tend to do one live session per subject a week and then set independent tasks to be submitted via classroom. You can upload materials, links etc and they then upload their response.

HPandTheNeverEndingBedtime Fri 27-Mar-20 20:48:35

A powerpoint with all the info they need and relevant embedded videos and then corresponding worksheets which are all put on Google classroom and they can handed in. The biggest challenge for me is providing one set of work that will be appropriate for students with a reading age as low as 6 and others with a reading age of 16.

astuz Fri 27-Mar-20 20:52:18

I'm sending them the powerpoint I would have used in the lesson, combined with links to youtube videos and websites like chemguide (I'm a chemist), then I set my usual worksheets/past exam paper questions etc. and get them to send their answers to me, so I can check understanding.

To be fair, the content I was in the middle of teaching when school closed was quite amenable to them researching it themselves. Teaching some of the calculation topics might be more difficult. I've finished the syllabus after this topic though, so I think I'll give them a few weeks of revision.

PumpkinPie2016 Fri 27-Mar-20 21:00:10

Thanks for all of the ideas! Will be giving them a go in the coming week.

Good point about topic choice. The one Inwould ordinarily do at the end of Y12 isn't really the best for online teaching (needs practical etc.) So, I think I will reorder it and do one of the others.

Keeping fingers crossed it works!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in