Talk

Advanced search

"Can I work it off, Miss?"

(14 Posts)
Greenandcabbagelooking Wed 05-Feb-20 19:13:20

My school (secondary) doesn't have a school-wide policy on behaviour, so everyone comes up with their own. I have a system whereby students get a warning the first time they do something they ought not to be, then consequences escalate, until the student is removed. Obviously if the incident is serious, then I remove straight away.

Today on of my Yr 10s said she'd work better if she was allowed to work off her warning, and that most people allow this. I don't want to, I think doing work doesn't excuse the fact someone was talking over me. Plus the subjective nature: does doing 5 questions but getting them all wrong warrant a clean slate compared to doing only two questions but getting them right.

Do you let students work off warnings or consequences? I reward all good things even if they've already earned sanctions as well.

OP’s posts: |
PotteringAlong Wed 05-Feb-20 19:16:10

No, I don’t. I run rewards and sanctions as 2 separate things.

FuckingHateRats Wed 05-Feb-20 19:54:34

No way.

JanetandJohn500 Wed 05-Feb-20 20:55:18

A school-wise behaviour policy, published on the school website, is a statutory requirement. I'd be looking for another job and/or speaking to my union. If they're not doing this, what else aren't they doing?

likeafishneedsabike Wed 05-Feb-20 21:16:00

This working off sanctions business is bullshit. Correcting behaviour doesn’t mean erasing the fact that it happened in the first place. It means that the warning was heeded and did it’s job.

CallmeAngelina Wed 05-Feb-20 22:35:53

I knocked that idea on the head years ago when I overheard my (then) small son telling his sister he didn't care if he lost a treat for being naughty as he'd just be good again later and earn it back!!
You can rest assured that didn't happen!

SabineSchmetterling Thu 06-Feb-20 06:34:18

I agree with you. No earning off warnings or sanctions. I had this with a student yesterday. She’d come to me and made a very good apology for her behaviour earlier in the day. I thanked her for her apology and told her to go to her detention and then we’d draw a line under the incident. She made it very clear that she had expected her apology to mean that she didn’t have to go to detention. hmm

BruceFoxton Thu 06-Feb-20 06:59:40

Agree re school policy. What a shambles. Management are negligent

Mammyloveswine Thu 06-Feb-20 07:35:58

Ofsted would no look favourably on individual read inconsistent behaviour policies!

How ridiculous!

No wonder kids are wild!

It's bad enough in primary when there are always lax teachers who don't stick to the policy and I end up with the shits in my class for isolation.

HettyStThomas Thu 06-Feb-20 07:41:21

We have a blanket policy. Students cannot earn back their previous behaviour points.
1- warn
2- move
3- remove.

mantarays Fri 07-Feb-20 09:04:41

No. What she is looking for is permission to skive off and disrupt the first two thirds of a lesson and then rush her work. Just no.

Hoppinggreen Fri 07-Feb-20 09:07:56

So she’s offering to actually her work as she should in the first place to avoid a punishment?
Nope

PurpleDaisies Fri 07-Feb-20 09:10:19

How can a uk secondary school not have a behaviour policy?

Do you mean there is one but it isn’t followed?

In answer to your question, no to earning back points.

LolaSmiles Fri 07-Feb-20 19:44:58

Rewards and sanctions are always two separate things in my classroom, and in our whole school policy.
Students can make poor choices, be warned and then later make positive choices and be rewarded.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in