Talk

Advanced search

What do you take credit for, as a teacher?

(9 Posts)
TheDeclineofMissJ Mon 30-Dec-19 15:54:04

I once had the same class for Y5 & Y5 (this was in the good ol' days). I'm a big reader and I put a lot of time into getting them reading, which was no easy feat.

The genuine highlight of my career was when their Y6 teacher told me that they insisted on having individual reading time in class AND a story at the end of the day. There were a few children in particular who I often used to see reading and that still makes me smile.

Anyway, was telling the story earlier and someone disagreed with me 'taking credit', as it were.

OP’s posts: |
Piggywaspushed Mon 30-Dec-19 16:35:57

Who was supposed to take credit?

Teaching is one of these very anti - arrogance professions where we are all supposed to be so very 'umble except for the lot on Twitter

CuckooCuckooClock Tue 31-Dec-19 16:55:04

I take credit when I genuinely think I’ve influenced the kids. It sound like you did and therefore you should take credit. Ignore the haters.

LolaSmiles Fri 03-Jan-20 13:57:42

I take credit for my actions with an understanding I've played a part in a long process.

I also take credit where I've taken over classes that have had a car crash experience or been under performing and I've been able to settle them and give them the tools to achieve.

Their outcomes are a combination of multiple factors. No good comes from being arrogant or downplaying our contribution.

TheMistressQuickly Fri 03-Jan-20 14:00:27

Hard to take credit for anything where I work. Everyday is about survival!!!

Teaching for me has always been about the relationship with the pupil/class. Too many unruly pupils are making the job impossible to enjoy and foster relationships.

Not a novice either. Started teaching at 22, I’m now 44 and it’s NEVER been this hard.

Piggywaspushed Fri 03-Jan-20 15:19:05

Seen the thread in AIBU where a layperson accuses a teacher of overly gushing , being too invested and bragging about himself?

Teachers must not boast. hmm

EvilTwins Sun 05-Jan-20 21:16:04

I teach drama. If any of my current or ex students ever win any kind of award (OSCAR, BAFTA, TONY - I’m not fussy), I’m taking all the credit.

Chochito Mon 06-Jan-20 18:58:34

The former Poet Laureate, Andrew Motion, wrote about his English teacher, (Peter Way), "My teacher, who reached down inside my head
and turned the first lights on."

If any of my students (I teach English too) ever credited me with turning on their lights, I would feel mission truly accomplished.

GorkyMcPorky Mon 06-Jan-20 19:00:44

I take credit for being able to manage my tricky classes for the most part. There's anarchy when they have supply!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in