Talk

Advanced search

Centralised detentions

(9 Posts)
PastTheGin Tue 26-Nov-19 18:50:39

Oh how I wished for centralised detentions at my previous school, where we had to do all of our after school detentions ourselves...!

I am now at a different school with centralised detentions, but today was my first time supervising. I will have to do this once a term from now on.

It was bloody terrifying! I was alone in a room jam packed with the school’s naughtiest boys, ranging from Year 7 to Year 11. I knew none of them, they didn’t know me either. I had zero authority and they knew it. I am just glad I got out of there alive! I burst into tears afterwards sad

AIBU or is sending in new staff like this a bit like feeding them to the wolves?

OP’s posts: |
noblegiraffe Tue 26-Nov-19 18:53:26

Centralised detentions are a massive workload reduction for staff but they should be staffed by SLT/middle leadership on a rota, with severe penalties for kicking off.

GuyFawkesDay Tue 26-Nov-19 18:54:33

We use different rooms for different year groups if there's lots.

If in hall there's SLT and other staff.

IgnoranceIsStrength Tue 26-Nov-19 18:54:47

We had centralised detentions but each department took a week each. They were once a week so you only did one every 8 weeks or so with at least 6 members of staff with you. I would not be happy about doing it on my own

churchandstate Tue 26-Nov-19 19:06:11

Batshit to put in place centralised detentions and then staff them with new, inexperienced or non-TLR staff.

Rosieposy4 Tue 26-Nov-19 20:19:20

Really unfair of them, we do centralised but they are covered by slt and year managers.

AppleKatie Tue 26-Nov-19 20:21:11

That wasn’t fair or right. New members of staff shouldn’t be in that position.

likeafishneedsabike Tue 26-Nov-19 20:42:14

We have centralised detentions and there is a rota. A more senior member of staff is vaguely present, but essentially it’s a teacher on their own in the room. However, at our place they have to ‘pass’ detention. If they fail, it’s detention every night until they pass. Works a treat.

CheesecakeAddict Sun 01-Dec-19 15:38:07

I have centralised at my new school and had them at my old school and they all worked very well. My first school is was manned by 2 members of staff and misbehaviour could result in 5 more. The second school was a lot more challenging behaviour wise and they were run by heads of year.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in