Advanced search

Can you help be word an email asking for a phased return to work please.

(11 Posts)
SpiderCharlotte Tue 19-Nov-19 17:48:06

I have been off for quite some time. I want to get back to work, but on a phased return - how do I ask for this? I've never been off work in my life up until this year and I don't really know how to go about it - my Head can be 'difficult'.

OP’s posts: |
yellowsun Tue 19-Nov-19 17:51:02

Have you had a referral to occupational health? They normally advise schools on what a return to work might look like.

Ominous my school we get insurance to cover a three week phased return but have accommodated up to 6 weeks spending on the situation. I would go with a plan and if you are not happy, speak to your union.

yellowsun Tue 19-Nov-19 17:51:39

Ominous?! ‘At my’.

SpiderCharlotte Tue 19-Nov-19 18:08:18

I haven't been referred to OT - do I ask my GP about that? I'm seeing him next week anyway. Or do I speak to school about that? I'm completely clueless about this sort of thing and I want to ask in a succinct, professional way. In short, I haven't a clue what to do but want to sound like I do. grin

OP’s posts: |
Nyx Tue 19-Nov-19 18:18:19

Something like:
Dear [whoever]
As you know, I have been on sick leave for [however long]. I now feel that I would be able to return to work soon, on a phased return basis. I would be grateful if you could contact me to arrange this.
Thanks and regards,

AlexaShutUp Tue 19-Nov-19 18:20:46

Usually, you'd be referred to occupational health by your employer, rather than by your GP. Perhaps that's the best way of approaching this - ask to be referred to OH with a view to planning your return to work.

OlderthenYoungerNow Tue 19-Nov-19 18:26:53

Yes, GP won't look at your work situation specifically, just your health and wellbeing generally.

You can often self refer via your employer to OH or they can make the referral for you. They'll give a copy of your JD and you can discuss what impact your believe your health will have on the specific job you do and your work environment. They recommend adjustments which the school should seek to implement where reasonable. If you have a disability then they are obligated legally to make adjustments for you. If you don't, they'll still need to act reasonably by implementing what they can.

A phased return is usually over an agreed period with a view to increasing to full hours/duties in that time period. So perhaps 20% of your hours week 1, 40% week 2, 60% week 3 and 80% week 4 - back to 100% after that.

SpiderCharlotte Tue 19-Nov-19 18:29:42

Thank you all, this is really helpful. I'll email school and ask if they will refer me to OT then and take it from there.

OP’s posts: |
Disfordarkchocolate Tue 19-Nov-19 18:33:28

Your GP can put this on a fit note, most employers comply but I don't think they have to.

What does your sickness policy say, most will say you need to have a phased return to work after longterm sickness, it's to help prevent people from going off sick again quickly.

yellowsun Tue 19-Nov-19 18:38:48

Make sure you ask for a referral to Occ Health and not occ therapy!

SpiderCharlotte Tue 19-Nov-19 18:59:41

Sorry that's what I meant I always get them mixed up! 😆

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in