Talk

Advanced search

Y6 - some questions

(2 Posts)
Enb76 Tue 05-Nov-19 09:21:10

The children in my child's school sat an SAT at the beginning of the academic term to assess the areas that need closest attention. In general, I think this is a good idea but what do you do with the children who are already at greater depth before they've even started the curriculum?

Obviously I'm concerned about my child but there are at least 4 in her class that are like this (this is in a highly educated community so not as weird as it might sound). My child has already expressed that they're basically doing stuff she already knows and while she truly loves school, normally I don't get this until the summer term. On the other end of the scale there are children really struggling and I imagine that the concentration would head to these children to bring them up so that they do well in their SATs. Which is right and proper but where does that leave the children who could essentially coast this year and still come out ahead?

Sorry to ask this in here but thought you would know what happens in your own classrooms.

OP’s posts: |
crashcourseinbrainsurgery Tue 05-Nov-19 09:36:11

Not a teacher but saw this on active convo.
My dc went though exactly the same, done some mock sats at the start of the year, and at least few children scored exceptionally well on all the subject.
Good thing about our school was there was no sats prep until after spring term, and it was minimal. There was still subject like art and music and lots of exciting non sats related activities through out the year. And our school was the one of the school which is below national average. My dc had great year, relaxed and just getting best end of primary year to spend with their friends.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in