Talk

Advanced search

Teaching in Scotland (Glasgow specifically)

(6 Posts)
WatchingTheMoon Mon 28-Oct-19 05:34:38

I am considering moving to Scotland within the next couple of years. How easy/difficult is it to get a teaching job in the Glasgow area? I know a few years ago jobs were thin on the ground in Glasgow and Edinburgh, is it still the case?

I'm in primary, and would be looking to stay in that area ideally.

Thanks for any advice!

OP’s posts: |
ScarlettsHoopedSkirt Mon 28-Oct-19 19:47:00

No, for the past few years there have been plenty of jobs. This year there seem to be fewer, but at the end of the day, it's the biggest city in Scotland and teachers are always needed!

The great thing about living in Glasgow is that you are close to quite a few different councils. The only problem is that many of the bordering ones are huge and your employer in Scotland is the council rather than the school. Most councils advertise for staff and then place you, rather than you applying for the school. Some school positions are advertised on top of those though.

First thing would be for you to check with the GTCS that that you are eligible to teach in Scotland.

mistressiggi Mon 28-Oct-19 21:36:32

Yes, go on their website and email them. It might seem obvious you would be eligible but it does depend.
There do seem to be primary jobs advertised, but a lot will be temporary to suit schools changing circumstances and roles.

Lidlfix Mon 28-Oct-19 22:24:00

There are a variety of posts on myjobscotland for Glasgow and surrounding areas. And this is not a typical teacher vacancy time of year. Wait till spring you'll inundated!

WatchingTheMoon Tue 29-Oct-19 00:30:48

Thank you so much for the advice, it's really put my mind at rest!

I am already registered with the GTCS so no issues there.

Thanks again all!

OP’s posts: |
Mistressiggi Tue 29-Oct-19 07:43:48

Good luck!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in