Talk

Advanced search

Don't want to go back

(4 Posts)
wasgoingmadinthecountry Fri 25-Oct-19 18:48:50

I know it's been done lots before, but that's it really. I like my job but it takes a lot out of me - I do put lots of thought into it - and I think I really need a change, but I'm 55 and dh contracts so does not earn regularly enough for me to quit.

Final straw (1st world problem I know) is not having the odd bit of flexibility just to have one day off here and there to do something with friends. Just one day to go on a birthday weekend away or attend a fun mid week event.

OK, moan over.

OP’s posts: |
Ilikesweetpeas Fri 25-Oct-19 18:51:24

Could you drop a day a week? I know that it doesn’t give you flexibility, but it does give you the option to sometimes go out with friends during the week if they can meet you on that day. I like teaching a lot more now that I don’t work on Mondays!

saraclara Fri 25-Oct-19 18:56:53

I feel your pain. One of the main drivers to my retiring earlier than I planned, was missing out on so much. It was a bunch of far flung friends all meeting up in another country for a short break get together, that was the final straw for me. I was so, so gutted to be the only one of our group unable to go, because it was in term time. It'll be years before I can see them now.

I decided I'd just had enough, and I wanted to be able to be free to take days off, or to be spontaneous.
I was lucky to be able to afford to stop working, so I wish I could think of a way around this problem for you.

wasgoingmadinthecountry Fri 25-Oct-19 19:18:32

Ilikesweetpeas that's part of the problem - I was quite happily working 4 days until our HT went off on long term sick leave a year ago and subsequently left. I did 5 days as 2nd in command so took on more responsibility as well as more hours. Staffing structure has changed so I feel a bit stuck. I will speak to our EHT though. I used to go out with friends/meet my dd1 etc.

saraclara that's what did it for me yesterday. Was having a great day out with friends and the subject of a weekend away came up.

Dd2 is currently doing an MA so I need to support her to some extent this year. Maybe I could start to make a plan for next year though...

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in