Talk

Advanced search

Starting as an nqt in an sen school next week! Sooo nervous!!

(11 Posts)
BubblesBubbly Sat 24-Aug-19 20:56:59

I am so nervous and stressed about starting new job as an nqt next week!

Luckily I have 3 inset days to kind if find my feet but I have so far not even been given a timetable, and have no clue about classes, lessons, students... anything!!!

Any advice or tips to get me going or calm me down!

OP’s posts: |
WalkofShame Sat 24-Aug-19 21:00:34

No advice as I’m not a teacher but DS goes to a special school. I just want to say good luck, my son’s teachers are brilliant and I’m sure you will be too brew

BubblesBubbly Sat 24-Aug-19 21:54:29

Thank you! I’m really keen to get started, but the unknown is killing me!

parrotonmyshoulder Sat 24-Aug-19 22:02:24

Has your mentor or line manager not got in touch? Do you have school email etc yet?
If you have anyone to get hold of, it might’ve worth emailing? I’ve been supporting our NQT over the summer on and off with planning, timetables etc.
Sadly, we don’t have 3 inset days, so you are lucky there!

BubblesBubbly Sat 24-Aug-19 22:18:24

I do have email set up, and have been conversing with the head’s PA with regards to paperwork... dbs etc.
But no idea who my mentor is, or any other details!
The pa seems quite busy and a bit scatty so struggling to get many straight answers when I do ask.

lorisparkle Sat 24-Aug-19 22:19:52

In our special school the TAs are amazing. They usually place an experienced TA with a new teacher to help show them the ropes. I have always felt very well supported in the special schools I have worked in by my TAs and my fellow teachers. They have so much experience and are usually happy to help. My advice would be to observe and listen. I love my job! Good luck!

QueenofCBA Sat 24-Aug-19 22:26:00

How nerve wrecking! You’re right, though, 3 inset days should give you enough time to settle in.

I don’t know how teaching at SEN schools works, but in order to calm down and feel prepared could you prepare a first lesson per year group? I know that’s what I am going to do next week and it will help me feel calm.

Good luck in the new job! flowers

BubblesBubbly Sat 24-Aug-19 22:26:21

Thank you @lorisparkle... I’m hoping to chat to people and learn from them

parrotonmyshoulder Mon 26-Aug-19 19:02:10

What sort of Special School is it? Do you have a class or is it subject based?

BubblesBubbly Mon 26-Aug-19 19:11:37

It’s subject specific working with Asd and Adhd students

PenguinsRabbits Fri 30-Aug-19 12:12:44

Good luck - no experiencing teaching but an ASD child.

The NAS has a guide if you haven't seen it already:
www.autism.org.uk/professionals/teachers/classroom.aspx

A lot of children with ASD are sensory so things like changing clothes can be stressful and noise/shouting can be difficult. He responds best to kind, calm but firm teachers.

Its often worth asking the parents - I've seen lots of teachers with DS and seen a lot of what teachers have done that works and a lot of what doesn't work. Don't necessarily need to follow what parent says but can give good insight into what works / doesn't and how is at home - mine is fine at home.

What has worked at school includes:
Advanced warning of timetables, lunch menu, PE activities and rules so nothing unexpected or a minimal amount.
Can be very reluctant to talk to teachers and discussing things he's comfortable with first can help relax him e.g. maths, obsessions then he will chat more but you may not have time for this.
No incentives to behave in an undesirable way so a quiet place/safe place to go but not one full of soft toys e.g. a library works. He does often need a quiet space and is best left alone.
Positive encouragement - DS had massive improvements in year 5 and teacher told him he was clever and sensible. He went from needing a full-time TA to none with her and that was largely down to her amazing ability with him and previous teacher ignoring Ed Psych.

When things have gone wrong its sometimes been partly as the teacher refuses to follow advice from Ed Psych and uses normal behavioural methods rather than ones aimed at ASD and shouting as they are often noise sensitive. It is hard for teachers though as he's in mainstream and think most of them have no or very minimal ASD training. There's little point trying to reason / have a conversation with an ASD child during a meltdown - ensure everyone is safe but wait until calm before having conversations. In conversations adding positives as well as negatives helps and depersonalising helps.

They can also often underperform in exams over natural ability - I had to teach my DS to ignore questions he couldn't do as at school he would just give up at first one couldn't do even when can get 90% right. English he will answer what he thinks the correct answer is not what the author thinks, he will generally be right scientifically but its not what he's being marked on. ASD kids can be perfectionists and doing well can be very important to them, maybe partly as less social success.

Limited diet and allergies / intolerance to food are common - separated food is often better. Food often needs to look identical though school dinners are good for that.

They are all different though but the NAS guide should have some common methods. Mine is allowed to leave class when he feels stressed and go to a safe place.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in