Talk

Advanced search

Surprise!

(7 Posts)
Piggywaspushed Wed 17-Jul-19 21:52:27

schoolsweek.co.uk/dfe-survey-shows-heads-and-teachers-disagree-on-workload/

This would be amusing if it weren't so frustrating.

The second bit about confidence to teach new specs is also interesting.

OP’s posts: |
QueenofCBA Thu 18-Jul-19 17:40:31

This is the least surprising surprise I have ever come across...

Piggywaspushed Thu 18-Jul-19 17:58:51

Ha, isn't it !?

noblegiraffe Thu 18-Jul-19 21:39:17

My workload in relation to marking has genuinely reduced in the past few years, in terms of class marking.

But in the same time, the number of maths papers has gone from 2 to 3 at GCSE and the school has beefed up Y10 exams and introduced a second set of Y11 mocks so the amount of exam papers I’m marking has gone up an awful lot. In addition for each set of mocks we have to enter all the marks for each question for each student onto a spreadsheet for PIXL.

I would expect that SLT wouldn’t consider the second issue at all when it comes to looking at marking and workload so they’d just go ‘yeah we’ve reduced marking’.

elephantoverthehill Thu 18-Jul-19 21:42:31

Oh I thought you were going to announce that we didn't have to go in tomorrow and the summer holidays had started.

Piggywaspushed Thu 18-Jul-19 22:12:56

Hardly elephant. I have 4 more days to go....

Needmorecoffeeortea Thu 18-Jul-19 23:42:45

I’ve been an acting HT so I’ve seen the other side and I can say that HTs very easily forget what it’s like to teach and forget their teachers are TEACHING when they pile another initiative or idea or task onto them. Even just asking someone to cover a duty impacts on workload but HTs forget such things. I heard discussions between HTs where they backed each other up in their expectations of their staff. They were unreasonable!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in