Talk

Advanced search

Affordable gifts for class

(44 Posts)
JamieFraserskiltspeaksout Fri 05-Jul-19 17:43:42

I'm trying to come up with creative yet affordable gifts for 30 children. I can only afford £30 maximum. I've done keyrings and Word Clouds in the past but I don't think the children really liked them.
I was thinking of baking everyone a really luxurious cupcake and putting in a plastic holder so it would get home safely with a personal card wishing them luck. Is this rubbish?! I wanted to do something better but I'm moving house and out of money. Any better ideas?

OP’s posts: |
CalamityJune Fri 05-Jul-19 17:45:56

What about a personalised pen or pencil? I've used National Pen Company before. They do have minimum orders though so might be a little over budget

IggyAce Fri 05-Jul-19 17:47:36

The book people often do a pack of 10 books for around £10 or less and then stick a personal thank you message in the front of each. My ds got a book one year from his teacher and he loved it.

thatone Fri 05-Jul-19 17:49:35

We get Book People books in school and usually order 3 sets at £9/10 for ten, so roughly a pound per child.

Mammyloveswine Fri 05-Jul-19 17:50:33

I'm doing books! Home bargains has some for 69p.

IggyAce Fri 05-Jul-19 17:52:50

Or get some bubble wands Asda sell them for 50p and put a your x blew me away this year and personalised it for each child.

Lwmommy Fri 05-Jul-19 17:54:38

What age? My DD is 5 and would honestly be overjoyed with a handwritten note or a little sweet

FourEyesGood Fri 05-Jul-19 17:55:54

Please just give the card. A present might be fun but it’s a waste of your money, increases plastic use (in most cases) and raises expectations that teachers will give presents to their students.
If you have the time, a personal message is lovely. In my opinion, it’s more than enough.

MrsGaryLightbody Fri 05-Jul-19 18:20:23

If primary then a little book, from The Works or similar would be lovely with a personal handwritten note inside.
You are lovely to do this smile

JamieFraserskiltspeaksout Fri 05-Jul-19 18:38:59

Thanks for the ideas. I think the books I've seen that are a good price seem to be a little young. It's year 4

LuckyAtCards Fri 05-Jul-19 18:43:53

There is no child alive that doesn't love a nice fresh novelty rubber. You can get initials ones here for 23p each.

Plus, you can write on the label the reminder that there are no mistakes they can make next year that can't be rubbed out.

Lwmommy Fri 05-Jul-19 19:40:43

So 9 year olds, is slime still a thing with 9 yr olds?

I think the homemade cupcake idea is lovely, I also think that you don't need to get them a gift, i hope that you are doing so because you feel like you want to rather than obliged to because of some social norm or expectation.

Teaching and supporting them is more than enough!

JamieFraserskiltspeaksout Fri 05-Jul-19 20:09:44

I think it is expected and as all the other teachers do it I will do something too. I do want to as well though. Over the year we really get to know these children and I want them to know I care. But 30 children is a lot to buy for!

IceCreamAndCandyfloss Sat 06-Jul-19 11:22:47

Have a look on poundtoy.com.

hummusavocado Sat 06-Jul-19 14:55:12

cupcake idea is just lovely. what kid doesn't love a cake??

Beautifullymixed Sat 06-Jul-19 15:05:19

I have just ordered bouncy balls (they LOVE a bouncy ball), and a colourful pencil with a rubber on top each for my year six leavers. I know they will love these, and eagerly choose their favourite design.
Cost about £18 for 28 children. 2 gifts each, from eBay and amazon.
I wouldn't spend £30 tbh.

Ilikesweetpeas Sat 06-Jul-19 15:10:08

I just think it’s lovely of you to buy for your class! I agree that bouncy balls would be a hit with all primary aged children

Lwmommy Sat 06-Jul-19 15:32:40

Baker Ross have a big clearance sale on, you might find something good on there:

https://www.bakerross.co.uk/clearance

JamieFraserskiltspeaksout Sat 06-Jul-19 17:00:02

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I think I can manage to get a little collection of things together for each child that they will enjoy!

QueenofCBA Mon 08-Jul-19 17:03:42

You do not spend your own money on gifts for your students!!!

Make them a personalised laminated bookmark with school supplies and be done with it. If you feel very generous buy a big box of ice lollies or throw them a film party with popcorn one afternoon. That’s enough.

Nobody needs more plastic tat and neither children nor parents will like you less if you don’t get them a present.

putonyourdancingshoes Mon 08-Jul-19 17:58:15

What about scratch art bookmarks, you could etch their names into them or let them do it? Amazon have these.

FourEyesGood Mon 08-Jul-19 20:54:26

@QueenofCBA
Our opinion seems pretty unpopular. It makes me sad that some teachers feel under pressure to spend their own money on the students (and that so many buy so much plastic tat that’ll probably just end up in landfill/the sea).

If you like your students, tell them! Don’t give them a bit of plastic that they’ll find at the bottom of a drawer in a couple of years and then throw out.

winewolfhowls Mon 08-Jul-19 21:04:10

You sound really lovely and I genuinely don't intend to be rude when I say that I feel that buying kids presents is not good. It further encourages the public perception that teachers are well paid, it puts pressure on others to do the same who might not be able to afford it, and deprofessionalises us (if that is the correct phrase). I also don't think that children should buy presents for staff either for the same reasons. Cards with a thoughtful message are lovely, honestly.

MargeryB Mon 08-Jul-19 21:10:00

Teachers give enough to the kids, in time and expertise, which is so much more valuable then the gifts you're proposing. Please don't give up your money or encourage materialism in the kids. They don't need to get an item. The suggestion of bookmarks and ice lollies was a great one if you must.

DrMadelineMaxwell Thu 11-Jul-19 00:02:14

We do an ice lolly on the last day.

And I spend my time, but school resources, to make a cover for an autograph book for them to use as they are year 6 and like something for their friends to sign. I personalise them with a wordcloud in the shape of something they like, with their name and their favourite things from the year on. They then create the book and tie it together with ribbon.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in