Talk

Advanced search

Interview in an SEN school.

(8 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

ScrambledToe Thu 27-Jun-19 22:54:46

Hi, I’ve just finished my teacher training and have an interview for an SEN school soon, I’ve worked with students with SEN in mainstream schools, but never full time. I have no formal/recognised training but this is given over time.

I have an interview and they have mentioned that they will be assessing safeguarding.
Also I will be supporting a lesson for half an hour and will be doing a written test.

Any idea what I should expect from these three elements of the process? Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
EstherMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 28-Jun-19 22:09:46

Bumping for you OP, and good luck.

ScrambledToe Sat 29-Jun-19 20:06:22

Thank you!

BadgerBadgerMushroom Sat 29-Jun-19 20:27:46

I imagine the Safeguarding would be questions based on scenarios. E.g what would you do if a child disclosed.....to you. Not sure about the written task but I'm sure the lesson will just be watching how you engage and interact with the children. Good luck!

ScrambledToe Sat 29-Jun-19 20:29:09

Thank you @BadgerBadgerMushroom

Toffeecakes Sat 29-Jun-19 20:37:13

I think the safeguarding will cover different types, so maybe a scenario of disclosure, something about differing behaviour and maybe something that is out of school but linked to a student. In each case you just have to show that you know what to do and what not to do (no leading questions, report everything and assume all small things to be part of a bigger picture). With SEN some students can't communicate as we would typically expect; so it's about being sensitive to warning signs.

I think in most SEN schools they're looking for compassion, enthusiasm and confidence, definitely no pity or apprehensions in terms of what you could be expected to be dealing with.

The written element will probably be marking of some sort, again, they'll be looking for how you approach the individual child so they may give you some information regarding the student and how they communicate - colours, symbols etc.

Another written task could be to hand write a letter or even to compose an email to another member of staff or a parent. It's to make sure you are technically accurate in your spelling and grammar but also to check you can use an appropriate tone.

I have limited experience of SEN but a family member is a governor and has given me info regarding how they interview etc. It's basically to show that everything you do is focused around the wellbeing of the students and that you don't limit them in any way. It's all about progress, as education always is, but it's about what progress means to the individual student.

Best of luck on your interview!

ScrambledToe Sun 30-Jun-19 10:46:12

Thank you @Toffeecakes your reply is really helpful

chilledteacher Sun 30-Jun-19 10:50:55

I'm a Headteacher in a special school. In the lesson I would be looking for inclusion, how you use your learning support assistants, how you progress learning etc. In my questions I would ask you how your lesson promoted quality first teaching.
The safeguarding question-there are literally hundreds I could choose, just make sure you know the safeguarding policy for the school and depending on your local authority -the local authority.
Written-I suspect something around a letter to check grammar. Could be something to demonstrate your knowledge of SEN though.
Good luck! Don't be phased by behaviours in the lesson, that's what makes our schools so wonderfully unique.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in