Talk

Advanced search

Schools built with no staff toilets

(42 Posts)
noblegiraffe Wed 19-Jun-19 12:26:43

I’ve heard of academies deciding to do away with staffrooms, but forcing teachers to share toilets with the kids? Er, what?!

www.tes.com/news/lack-staff-only-school-toilets-branded-insanity

OP’s posts: |
Sirzy Wed 19-Jun-19 12:27:39

Surely that would be a safeguarding issue?

SimonJT Wed 19-Jun-19 12:32:00

My exs school is like this, so staff tend to only go at the end of the day, or go to reception to use the disabled toilets.

hormonesorDHbeingadick Wed 19-Jun-19 12:35:04

That is awful!

Herocomplex Wed 19-Jun-19 12:36:13

There’s no loo for visitors or contractors then. Not safe at all.
Completely inappropriate for any adults with health needs as well. Imagine being pregnant or having a stoma and having to use children’s facilities. It’s completely wrong.

noblegiraffe Wed 19-Jun-19 12:54:40

Why do I get the feeling that the head would have their own toilet?

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Wed 19-Jun-19 13:09:09

Not fair on staff, pupils or visitors.

herculepoirot2 Wed 19-Jun-19 18:57:15

I wouldn’t work there. Not a chance I’m putting myself in that position.

herculepoirot2 Wed 19-Jun-19 18:59:05

There is a fundamental conflict of interest between the right to privacy of a member of staff while having a poo, and the desire of the students to know more about staff than they ought to. It’s a staggeringly bad plan.

MaybeDoctor Wed 19-Jun-19 19:01:09

Madness, utter madness.

herculepoirot2 Wed 19-Jun-19 19:03:01

And what if you need to cry? Or vomit? Insane.

reefedsail Wed 19-Jun-19 19:03:03

I wouldn't work there either.

thefemaleJoshLyman Wed 19-Jun-19 21:28:18

Until this September (for 10 yrs) we had no staff toilets but were able to use the disabled toilets, students were only allowed to use them if they had a disability. The head did not have their own toilet but there were visitor toilets. We now have two staff toilets, which feels luxurious! To be honest, having bern through two pregnancies, the main issue was male staff...confused

JanetandJohn500 Wed 19-Jun-19 21:38:00

The toilets are all individual cubicles that have full length doors and open directly onto corridors.

noblegiraffe Wed 19-Jun-19 21:42:33

Is that supposed to be reassuring, Janet?

herculepoirot2 Wed 19-Jun-19 21:54:04

JanetandJohn500

Which is vile. Full stop.

theworldistoosmall Wed 19-Jun-19 22:02:56

After seeing the state of school toilets, and reading about horrid toilet standards on here, I wouldn't work there or any school with one toilet for staff.

@thefemaleJoshLyman What happened when the one toilet broke?

thefemaleJoshLyman Wed 19-Jun-19 22:06:24

There were/are about 8 disabled toilets and now two staff toilets. We are a school of 2200. No risk of all breaking.

ASauvignonADay Wed 19-Jun-19 22:34:15

We don't have 'staff' toilets as such but open blocks with disabled toilets (large loos with wash basin etc inside) which only staff or kids with a key card can use. This is literally a non issue. I have never heard anyone complain about it.

All the student toilets are open blocks, set just back from the corridor. Unisex but full length doors, shared washbasin. Again - no complaints and no real issues. I remember kids smoking, fighting, bullying and vandalising in the old style girls and boys toilet blocks. We get none of that at all.

Evenquieterlife33 Wed 19-Jun-19 22:40:42

Shared wash basin thing doesn’t meet regs. The basin in mixed sex floor to ceiling loos must be within the cubicle for obvious privacy reasons.

CynthiaRothrock Wed 19-Jun-19 22:42:17

The toilets are built as single rooms off of the corridoor, not as big rooms with cubicles iyswim. Its not ideal. But its one person at a time and toilet doors are in view so no/extremely little chance of an adult being in their with a child.
Our place has allocated one of the two disabled toilets on each corridoor to staff only, this was only after an argument of where the sanitary bins would go and the fact young children are curious so didn't want the bins in rooms the younger children would be using.

cricketballs3 Thu 20-Jun-19 15:26:43

My school was rebuilt like this - recently had a new head and over the summer we are having staff toilets sorted as this head actually thinks of his staff (we are also having a staff room again!)

Phineyj Fri 21-Jun-19 13:11:46

Do schools have different building regs? I thought it was the law all toilets have to have a lobby.

YANBU we had this arrangement at one place I worked and male students would mess up the disabled loos. Gross! Although we did have a staff loo but it was 3 floors down.

ASauvignonADay Fri 21-Jun-19 19:25:42

@Evenquieterlife33 interested to know more about the regs - surely they won't be breaking these?

Evenquieterlife33 Fri 21-Jun-19 22:24:14

@ASauvignonADay
bakerstuart.com/guides-officetoiletprovision/
I’ve seen many a conversation about this also on the feminist chat area. If the toilets are mixed sex they have to have a floor to ceiling door and walls, and the basin must be inside that room to qualify.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in