Talk

Advanced search

Serving notice during school holidays? Support staff

(8 Posts)
bingandflop Tue 18-Jun-19 17:29:10

Hi there

I work as support staff in a school. The term ends on 23rd July. If I were to hand in my notice (one month) after the 23rd June, would I have to go back in September, given that I am not paid for school holidays? Or would the school holidays count towards my notice?

Hope this makes sense, any advice welcome

OP’s posts: |
Singleandproud Tue 18-Jun-19 17:34:23

I did similar when I worked in a 6th form, I wrote that my last working day would be 1st September, that way I got paid in August, I did help out during enrolment which was the last couple of days in August though.

PotteringAlong Tue 18-Jun-19 17:36:07

The end of term isn’t 23rd July. The end of term is 31st August.

It depends on your contract - how much notice do you have to give? Do you have a set resignation date (ie May half term) or is it just 4 weeks?

bloodywhitecat Tue 18-Jun-19 17:36:50

"I did similar when I worked in a 6th form, I wrote that my last working day would be 1st September, that way I got paid in August..."

Ditto, when I left the school I was working in I gave my notice in the last week of term with my last working day being 31st August.

RustyBear Tue 18-Jun-19 17:39:51

When I left my school support job, my last official day was August 31st, not the last day of term, so presumably I could have given notice any time up to July 31st. I got my last salary payment at the end of August, despite not having worked since term ended, as the pay is spread over 12 months.

AuntieDolly Tue 18-Jun-19 17:42:22

At our school, holiday time does not count towards your notice period. You'd need to check your contract

bingandflop Tue 18-Jun-19 20:42:55

Thanks all. I need to find my contract to check the exact wording.

OP’s posts: |
GreenTulips Tue 18-Jun-19 20:44:59

Yes check your contract

Make sure you have your heads email address and deputy’s

I handed mine in 5th August and started new job at the start of term

Worked out perfectly

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in