Advanced search

Qualifications, what is the difference between them all??

(16 Posts)
RedElephants Thu 13-Jun-19 17:25:15

So an interesting conversation had this afternoon,
Could someone could tell me the difference between a..
Early Years Practitioner,
An Early Years Educator,
A level 3 CYPW,
Or an NNEB
Many thanks

OP’s posts: |
kimlo Thu 13-Jun-19 18:57:14

eyp and eye are job titles, working in the early years.

cypw is a qualification that means you can work with children aged 0-19 not just in the early years, level 3 is the same level as an a-level.

nneb is an early years qualification.

BackforGood Thu 13-Jun-19 23:02:34

What kimlo said.

NNEB was a Fab qualification - the best - however I don't think it has been offered for a long time, so I would suggest that the person probably has not only the best qualification but also a lot of experience.

RedElephants Fri 14-Jun-19 08:01:30

Thank you for your input, so EYP or EYE, do they have a separate qualification? Say to the NNEB or CYPW?
If so is it a 'better' for want of another word, qualification?
Thanks trying to get my head round something..

OP’s posts: |
kimlo Fri 14-Jun-19 09:40:00

they would need to be at least level 3 qualified. It doesn't matter if thats an nvq nneb or whatever, just that it is a level 3 qualification that means they can work in early years.

A lot of people doing those jobs are actually more qualified, it wouldn't be unusual to have a level 4 or even a level 6. A level 6 is degree level.

RedElephants Fri 14-Jun-19 10:27:33

I have been my new job for several weeks now, I work in reception as a 1-1.
The class TA has spoken with me a few times as to how she feels that the class teacher doesn't value her or her qualification which she tells me she spent 3 years studying for, (I know definitely it's not a teaching degree) She tells me she didn't spend 3 years studying to be just a TA....!!?? I suggested she had a 'chat' with the teacher, which she did apparently, but still comes back to me.
Im at a loss as to what to say to her to be honest..

OP’s posts: |
kimlo Fri 14-Jun-19 10:38:54

but she is a ta?

She could have done a level 2 followed by a level 3, which would take her about 3 years.

If she doesn't feel valued she should talk to the teacher and if that doesn't work go to the line manager. She really needs to keep you out of it, that sort of talking behind backs just cause a bad working enviroment. Personally I would just cut her off each time with you need to talk to the teacher not me.

Actually this isn't about qualifications.

BackforGood Fri 14-Jun-19 18:10:29

'3 years studying' is likely to be 'after GCSEs', not to degree level.
I mean, I'd stay out of it - as said above, refer back to the employer each time if she feels she is not on the right money / level.

But I would use "Early Years Practitioners" as a cover all, for everyone that works with Early Years - it doesn't describe a qualification at all, it is a cover all term. SOmeone with a level 2 or level 3 (or, indeed higher) is still an EYP, if they are working in Early Years.

monkeysox Fri 14-Jun-19 18:47:40

Cache diploma replaced nneb. Level 3
Its a route to teaching assistant or to study to teach.
A friend did that and went on to be a sicisl worker by going to uni.

RedElephants Sun 16-Jun-19 08:23:40

Thanks all for your reply's.
She's in her early 30s, I wonder if she received her qualification in her home country, and if it perhaps has a different meaning over there ie more of a teaching role if that makes sense.

I'm sure she's a TA, I just don't get why she went for and got a Teaching assistants job, if she feels she should have a teaching job or similar.

Anyway I will advise her again to go back to the class teacher. If that doesn't work I'll go to the early years lead.

OP’s posts: |
Cyberworrier Sun 16-Jun-19 08:31:48

I have worked with some TAs who have teaching qualifications from the country they’re originally from. Some have just worked as a TA for a short time to adjust to the different system and then apply for teaching posts- and some don’t for various reasons. I did work with a lady who was very self assured and thought she knew better than the teachers, because of doing a teaching degree from the ages of 18-21 in a different country fifteen years before, despite never having actually worked as a teacher and being new to being a TA.
Definitely don’t get involved, she is being unprofessional!

RedElephants Sun 16-Jun-19 08:37:08

Now that would make sense..
She often, I've noticed, 'questions' the class teacher, when she's asked to do something..
The class teacher, will then firmly and politely ask her to do whatever it is again, TA will then go off mumbling under her breath.

OP’s posts: |
Cyberworrier Sun 16-Jun-19 08:37:45

What would you say to the EYFS lead? I hope you don't mean you’d pass on disgruntled TAs complaints against the teacher? Or would you be saying that you’re finding the TAs behaviour inappropriate?
Either way, please leave it- neither would reflect well on you. The EYFS lead will be in close communication with the teacher and probably aware of the situation as I bet the teacher is. Nothing to be gained from getting involved!

Cyberworrier Sun 16-Jun-19 08:43:04

That confirms it. Don’t get involved. TAs like that are not great to work with and believe it or not, overqualified and experienced TAs don’t tend to undermine teachers or disrupt lessons to prove a point. It is such a team structure in a classroom but with necessary and different roles. Many TAs go on to become teachers (like me) but you don’t do well if you’re not a team player.

lorisparkle Sun 16-Jun-19 08:48:20

There are degree courses that qualify you to become an 'early years practitioner'. They were introduced about 15 years ago. Unfortunately from my understanding you don't get qts with them but the expectation was that you would be the lead practitioner in an early years setting. However in a reception class the lead practitioner needs qts. Have you got HLTAs at your school? She could look at a role like that. Unfortunately no matter how highly qualified you are your role is your role. My TA has the same qualifications as me and has been teaching longer than me but as the 'teacher' I am in charge!

RedElephants Sun 16-Jun-19 09:40:54

Cyberworrier I like the class teacher, she has the same background as me before she did her teacher training. So in my opinion very experienced in different types of settings too.
She also started working at the school the same time as myself.

I just think the TA shouldn't be moaning at me. She just doesn't come across as being too happy in her role, and if not she needs to do something about it..

lorisparkle hmm, if, like the poster up thread mentioned, she may have a teaching qualification from her home country, she may not like me telling her to look into an HLTA course.. wink

Actually reading back and thinking of some of the things she has mentioned, I'm wondering if she doesn't like change (the other class teacher left to be early years lead at another school) or just doesn't 'get' the new teacher.

To be fair, i just don't get it, I love my job, and have just been offered a full time place come September, in my opinion my job is to support my 1-1, and come September, assist the class teacher in the smooth running of the class.
I just hope I'm up to itblush

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in