Talk

Advanced search

Asperger's diagnosis?

(15 Posts)
ElizabethMainwaring Wed 29-May-19 15:26:35

Hello all. Im becoming increasingly convinced that I am on the spectrum. I have a family history. I don't really feel that I have to go into details here. But what are the advantages, if any, of getting a diagnosis? I am genuinely interested. Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
ElizabethMainwaring Wed 29-May-19 15:29:30

I've posted here as I am a teacher, understand how others learn, and I know that children on the spectrum have been drawn to me, and me to them.

babysharkah Wed 29-May-19 15:33:28

I think I am, but cant see it changing anything so haven't followed it up. What would you want a diagnosis to achieve?

ElizabethMainwaring Wed 29-May-19 16:15:31

Hi.Yes that's my query exactly. I hear of children and adults being diagnosed but what happens next? I'm just intrigued.

ElizabethMainwaring Wed 29-May-19 16:17:08

I don't know what a diagnosis would achieve. So why do they do it?

imip Wed 29-May-19 16:22:08

I have 2 dc with HFA (girls) and find it very common that parents realise they also have ASD after their children are diagnosed. For those that may have struggled silently, a diagnosis is a relief- an explanation for while life has been hard for them and perhaps a reason to be less hard on themselves. I’ve met probably around 20 people who have been diagnosed and more who have chosen not too.

Personally, I think it will be helpful, especially if you yourself have struggled. The process of diagnosis for adults can be challenging and going privately may be an option.

ElizabethMainwaring Wed 29-May-19 16:26:16

Thank you imap. I don't have children, but my paternal grandfather was very much on the spectrum. I don't struggle with empathy, in fact I'm probably too empathetic, but I am very sensitive to light and heat. I am also incredibly introverted.

imip Wed 29-May-19 17:04:52

Yes, my dads display a lot of empathy also, but I have to say it is quite mixed - sometimes overly empathetic with people she doesn’t know, less so with things closer to her. I guess it may be a relief for you to receive a diagnosis if you think it would help explain some aspects of your life?

asparalite Wed 29-May-19 22:03:17

I think it's highly likely that I'm on the spectrum too,have often thought about getting a diagnosis.
Yes, I can see that it would most likely help me to be less hard on myself and more accepting of my
difficulties.
However I suspect there would be little support available following a diagnosis.
For me I think I've decided I won't look for a diagnosis.
I'm also quite a private person and can't imagine that I would be telling everyone about a diagnosis.

autumndreaming Wed 29-May-19 22:21:11

I pursued a diagnosis as it would make things easier for me at work. And it has. I am very lucky that I work in an understanding and patient environment, but I also think a diagnosis puts you in a stronger position if you don't work in such a place.

ElizabethMainwaring Thu 30-May-19 16:59:51

Thank you all so much for your replies. Lots to think about.

CurrentlyAWreck Thu 30-May-19 17:25:22

Please get tested for other people. I have a boss who we all think is on the spectrum and some of the stuff she says and does can be really hurtful but because she is so 'eccentic' or just autistic' I try to ignore it but it would be so much better for all involved if we just knew and then we really could just let it go as it's so stressful at times. You may think your good at empathy but you may not be. Our boss is a lovely lady with her heart in the right place but I wish we all knew why she is the way she is.

SuperLoudPoppingAction Thu 30-May-19 17:30:07

Autistic people are as empathetic as anyone else, fyi

jackparlabane Thu 30-May-19 17:41:49

Autistic people may have the empathy - may even have too much empathy that they struggle to cope with it - but may show it in ways that other people don't recognise. In which case each learning about how the other demonstrates empathy and expects to see it in others can be very helpful.

ElizabethMainwaring Fri 31-May-19 01:49:05

Dear Currentlyawreck. No. I am definitely not hurtful or rude. However, your post could be perceived to be both. And I definitely am 'good' at empathy. I wouldn't be able to to my job if I weren't.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in