Talk

Advanced search

Primary School visits for prospective applicants

(13 Posts)
hen10 Sun 14-Apr-19 19:37:56

I am applying for state Primary jobs now and they all say visits are highly recommended. I've got about 8 jobs that I could apply for and I currently work full time in a MAT (no way they'd release me during PPA or teaching hours and I am contracted to be on site until 5pm so I couldn't get to any of them before 6pm at best). I work a good hour's drive away from the jobs that I want to apply for - part of the reason that I am applying is to work closer to home.

I am keen and committed and all that but how can I word that in my application letter/email? Will I be disadvantaged by being unable to visit? Has anyone else had this issue? TIA

OP’s posts: |
ThisIsMeOrIsIt Sun 14-Apr-19 19:50:03

When I relocated I wrote in my covering letter that due to working full-time I was unable to make a visit prior to applying but that I had looked through the website thoroughly and was looking forward to seeing the school should I be successful in gaining an interview. Seemed to work for me.

hen10 Sun 14-Apr-19 19:58:54

Thanks ThisIsMeOrIsIt, that sounds like a good way of wording it. I was struggling to think of the words. Surely most teachers will be in this position unless they are already working very locally or part time. It all feels a bit archaic.

LOTR Sun 14-Apr-19 20:02:01

I know there is an issue for being released but your school are supposed to release you as a gesture of good will. Surely they know you are looking as they will be giving you a reference? That said, most interviews I've been on recently have had a walk round as part of the interview day.

ThisIsMeOrIsIt Mon 15-Apr-19 07:26:12

When I was changing schools locally I spent a couple of weeks stressing over leaving school as soon as I could and getting to places for 4pm for a tour, then doing all my marking at home in the evening.

It annoys me how it seems to be the accepted thing now that teachers will visit before applying. Are we not busy enough?!

hen10 Mon 15-Apr-19 08:50:46

That's the problem LOTR, any new school might assume that it's standard practice to let teachers out to visits and I just can't be bothered, but that is just not the case.

My school does know I am looking closer to home and if I was allowed to leave straight after the children have gone, it would be less of an issue, but I'm not.

LooksLikeImStuckHere Mon 15-Apr-19 08:55:30

I didn’t visit my school before interview. I did as ThisIsMe and wrote in my covering letter that I was unable to visit.

alwaystimeforcakeandtea Mon 15-Apr-19 10:43:31

I don’t think looking around is a big deal. We don’t keep a list of those who look round for jobs. Keen students and those out of work at the moment are mainly who come.

Littlebluebird123 Fri 19-Apr-19 15:32:44

I rang and spoke to head/deputy about the situation. Gave me a chance to show interest/ask any questions and for them to see I was interested. Most were pleased I'd made the effort but all understood the situation.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Sun 21-Apr-19 16:54:40

I don’t think that schools are obliged to release you to visit another school and I believe similar applies for attending interviews, although it would notfoster positive relationships if they refused.

I think most places would draw the line at requests for multiple interviews though.

MaybeDoctor Sat 27-Apr-19 20:38:29

It’s been a while for me, but I often found the visit pretty revealing and helpful for the interview.

A couple of times I withdrew from a post due to my experiences during the tour!

I suggest:

Cut down the number of applications
Ask permission to be released
If the answer is no, perhaps you have a medical appointment?

MaybeDoctor Sat 27-Apr-19 20:40:20

Not being released?

Recruitment practices in teaching really do take the mick!

Dermymc Sat 27-Apr-19 20:43:25

What would happen if you just left when the kids did?

I'd probably try and ring for a chat with the head.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in