Advanced search

Studying TA STLIS CACHE level 3 online

(7 Posts)
SkunkButtRug Tue 19-Mar-19 21:46:45

I hope someone can advise me!

I have been working in a Primary School for nearly two years and have decided I really enjoy it so have enrolled in an online Level 3 TA 10 month course (Stonebridge).

What I'm wondering is whether this is a good route to becoming a T. A.? I'm in the cooling off period of the course and am questioning my doing it now.

I'm not sure if it's because studying again after 20yrs is somewhat nerve-wracking or I'm panicking because I'm investing time and money in this course when I should be doing something else?

I like studying but can't afford Open University or the like.

OP’s posts: |
funmummy48 Wed 20-Mar-19 07:50:58

Do you actually need a TA qualification? Check out whether it's required first. None of the TAs in our school have a TA qualification & locally, it's not something that schools ask for when advertising jobs. It would be a shame to spend time & money on something you might not neec.

funmummy48 Wed 20-Mar-19 07:57:32

Need...not neec! 😂

Heyha Wed 20-Mar-19 08:01:24

See we do ask for a qualification now (level 3 as well) as there's so many people looking for that kind of work it helps narrow the field, rightly or wrongly. I think a level 3 quality gets paid a teeny bit more but still nowhere near what they're worth.

I don't know about the specific course but it being CACHE is a good sign, loads of these online courses are interesting but don't come with an externally recognised certificate.

SkunkButtRug Wed 20-Mar-19 10:24:48

Thank you.
Well, initially I was thinking it would be good because I don't have a background in teaching of any sort - things have changed dramatically since I was last at school. I know some TA have not done a course and some that have so I was in two minds really.

I made sure it was a course that had CACHE as I didn't want to waste time and money.

My background is in Graphic Design so a bit different!

OP’s posts: |
Pengweng Sun 24-Mar-19 17:00:11

I'm a level 3 TA and everyone in my school employed as a TA has the correct qualification, i.e. TA2 has level 2 diploma and TA3 the level 3 diploma. The only people with no specific qualifications are the Learning Support Assistants (LSAs) and they get paid worse than I do. smile
If you can afford it, the course is accredited and you have the time i would do the course. Every job I have ever applied for in the past few years has requested Level 3 qualifications.

funmummy48 Mon 25-Mar-19 13:14:10

Yes, as Pengweng has pointed out, in some areas it's a requirement so the first thing I would do is look at vacancies in your local area and see what qualifications are required. In our county, GCSEs in English & Maths are all that's required, so you would be wasting your time and money. 😉

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in