Talk

Advanced search

Parent concerned, don't understand teacher's explanation

(3 Posts)
Holymolymackerel Tue 12-Mar-19 19:40:31

Hi,
I would like some advice from teachers about dd7.
She is in year 2 in England. Started a new school at start of year 2 in September. Apparently, she is in danger of not meeting age related expectations across the board especially maths.
She left year 1 at previous school at expectations.
I have spoken to the teacher and she said not to worry and that from where she started she is going in an upward trajectory.
But I am worried. What went wrong? What can I do? What does it mean to be going upward but still not meeting the standards?

I help out in her class which is a mixed year 1/2 class. I know she is easily distracted especially when both years are being taught two different things at the same time in the same room by two different staff ( and there are some tricky characters in the year 1 part of the class)

Thank you for reading.

Worried Mum

OP’s posts: |
grumpypug Tue 12-Mar-19 20:48:02

She's still making progress. The aim of the class teacher now will be to help her make accelerated progress to help her catch up to age related expectations. If she's going on an upward trajectory then she's making progress towards where she should be and that's positive.

There are many, many reasons why a child may be working at ARE at the end of Yr 1 and not achieving ARE at this point in yr 2 and moving to a new school could play a part. I wouldn't be particularly worried if the class teacher is not worried.

HexagonalBattenburg Wed 13-Mar-19 09:48:04

Basically - she's going up... but what they're expected to be able to do is going up as well. Kids however continue to be those infuriating little creatures who haven't read all the nice official literature about how they should progress on a straight, pre-determined line and will plateau off for a while and then suddenly it'll all click into place and they'll skyrocket a bit, and then there'll be something particularly interesting on the dinner menu and entire lesson's worth of input will float completely over their head for a while...

It hurts like hell to be told it about your child - I had it with my youngest at the first parents evening in Reception - that school didn't think she'd meet any of the expectations for the end of the year - and I think my comment was that they'd not figured her out yet, she was a deceptive little character and while, she might not hit them all in a nicely neatly evidenceable way... she'd be there or thereabouts... and she hit them all in the end!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in