Talk

Advanced search

Pay Scales

(7 Posts)
GloomyMonday Sun 03-Feb-19 16:26:20

Despite being in my 50s I have just retrained and am an NQT.

I'm trying to predict what my net pay will be over the next few years as another source of income will taper and dry up completely.

I've looked at the pay scale calculator on tes but am not sure whether progression would usually happen automatically every year?

So, say, in five years can I expect to be on MPS6? Is progression to UPS automatic, or maybe takes longer than a year?

I'm so confused, can anyone help?

OP’s posts: |
noblegiraffe Sun 03-Feb-19 16:29:39

You need to look at your school pay policy to see what is needed for progression. It’s not automatic and requirements differ from school to school.

You should (on top of progression) get some sort of inflation-linked pay rise each year. There was a news story that suggests this will be max 2% next year.

GloomyMonday Sun 03-Feb-19 16:33:04

Ah ok, thank you. I hadn't wanted to ask to see the policy for fear of looking uncommitted, but looks like I will have to then!

noblegiraffe Sun 03-Feb-19 16:36:48

All our school policies are on the school network, you should be able to find yours without asking!

GloomyMonday Sun 03-Feb-19 16:42:39

Thanks noble, I'll take a look tomorrow.

longsigh Sun 03-Feb-19 20:45:12

Pay-scales vary from school to school particularly with many schools being academised.
Many friends ( including me) have been refused a move up the scale for various reasons- none of which we could control, so be careful if you are planning your future around earning a certain amount in 5 years.

Holidayshopping Thu 07-Feb-19 21:42:05

It used to be automatic that you rose through the pay increments annually but that definitely isn’t the case now. Younger colleagues have been told that despite meeting all their targets, they can’t go up a scale point as there’s just no money. Going through threshold is no simple task either.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in