Talk

Advanced search

Fibromyalgia- sacking?

(3 Posts)
ReggieKrayDoYouKnowMyName Mon 17-Dec-18 13:59:33

Hi

Looking for some advice. I have recently been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and I’m not coping brilliantly with it at the moment. Been in the middle of a huge flare up that started with the flu but has wheeled through all kinds of infections (ear, chest, ear again, tonsillitis) and I now have two absecesses on neighbouring teeth.

I’ve heard from a colleague that there’s been a crack down about stuff while I’ve been off (5 weeks) and another colleague has come back from sick leave to find that students have had to write statements about the frequency of his marking etc. I’m terrified that I’m next for this kind of treatment and when I get back I’m going to find similar has been done about me.

Can I be put on capability due to being sick? Can they sack me for illness leave as a result of my fibro? I’m worried sick.

The department seems a very hostile place to return to right now.

TIA for any advice.

OP’s posts: |
ReggieKrayDoYouKnowMyName Mon 17-Dec-18 15:49:20

Hopeful bump.

OP’s posts: |
JanetandJohn500 Mon 17-Dec-18 17:21:52

They can sack you for 'Ill-health capability' if they can demonstrate that you will not be able to sustain good attendance in the long-term.
You should have a copy of your school's sickness absence policy and seek advice from your union if you're concerned. You could also ask for a referral to OH.
If you've always had a good attendance record in the past and have had good monitoring feedback, most HTs understand that everyone gets sick sometimes and will only go down that road at the end of a long line of issues.
Good luck!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in