Talk

Advanced search

Return for maternity leave: full time?

(8 Posts)
littlebid Sun 21-Oct-18 11:13:35

I’m getting ready to go back to work after my 2nd Mat leave - secondary, still on MPS, love the job, managed fine with workload / life balance with 1 child - and I’m wondering about whether to go back FT or request 0.8. Can anyone help with pros and cons? Eldest starts primary in September and it would be nice to have some sort of school gate presence plus extra time with my “last” baby, and time to do errands etc. I think we could afford the pay cut but will I get back into FT further down the line? I am reasonably ambitious and would like to take on additional responsibilities in a few years.

Any experience or words of wisdom?

OP’s posts: |
noblegiraffe Sun 21-Oct-18 11:46:08

It would be helpful to talk to current part timers in your school as schools differ greatly in their approach.

At my school on 0.8 you’d get a patchwork timetable, no guarantee that your unpaid frees would give you any extra time with your DD and you wouldn’t be allowed to apply for promotion.

At a different school you would get a full day off a week, the same day each week and would still be able to be promoted.

TK1930 Mon 22-Oct-18 22:49:46

Unsure about timetabling etc as I’m in primary but I definitely feel that although yes it does give you time for school pick up/drop off/at home ... you basically do a full time role for 0.8 pay....

avoschmadoo Tue 23-Oct-18 06:20:08

Your kids are only little once.

My dd2 is in reception and I've only just gone full time now they're both at school. It helps massively that I teach at the same school.

Mammyloveswine Wed 24-Oct-18 20:23:23

I'm in primary and 0.7... I have taken on a leadership role and so have more responsibility. I do however have more work/life balance even though I have a lot of work on an evening as I spend 4 afternoons with my children. There is no rush to do tea, bath and bed, we can make plans on an afternoon and my weekend feels longer! However I do stay when my husband is off work to "catch up" on displays etc.

If you can get a full day or 2 afternoons off then go for it!

My school is increasingly supportive of part-time staff, even our head teachers are a job share!

monkeysox Sat 27-Oct-18 11:32:29

With 0.8 you may as well be full time.
Tried it. Didn't work for me.

IWantChocolates Sat 27-Oct-18 18:29:02

I agree, I have heard plenty of teachers on a 0.8 timetable say they often spend at least part of their day off doing PPA-type stuff. I'd request to go 3 1/2 days at the most if you could afford it.

I once worked at a school where a class teacher started at 9:30am and finished at 2:30pm so she could do all school drop-offs. Maybe something to ask about?!

youknowyourself Sun 28-Oct-18 07:26:40

op I'm currently on mat leave and will be returning in a couple of weeks to a .8 contract.
I've done this to spend more time with my DS but won't be allowed to apply for promotions etc. Which is disappointing as I would like to take on further responsibility (and have the correct recognised tlr- of course, they'd let me do it for free!)
I know I will either cope really well dropping the day or I will prefer to be in the thick of things and on full time. But I will stay part time for a little while at least.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in