Talk

Advanced search

Would you struggle if you couldn’t send kids out?

(9 Posts)
Mixitallup Fri 19-Oct-18 07:12:45

Most of my classes are fine but I’ve got one with three girls who are just so shockingly rude to me and it’s so disruptive keeping them in the class.

I’ve tried as far as possible to do ‘all the right things’. Seating plan, phone calls home for positives as well as negatives. I’ve set detentions but it’s just making no difference.

I’m starting to really stress out about it to be honest.

OP’s posts: |
noblegiraffe Fri 19-Oct-18 13:11:56

Why can’t you send them out? Sounds awful for the rest of the class.

lovelyjubilly Fri 19-Oct-18 13:13:26

What does your behaviour policy say is the next step?

Mixitallup Fri 19-Oct-18 13:43:49

There’s nowhere for them to be sent to giraffe

The behaviour policy is just detentions

OP’s posts: |
cansu Fri 19-Oct-18 13:47:11

ultimately there needs to be a system for removal when other strategies are not working so that these students don't waste everyone else's lesson. I very rarely remove anyone but I would not like to work in a school that did not have such a system.

noblegiraffe Fri 19-Oct-18 18:05:50

Nowhere? No sixth form lesson/top set where they could be parked within the department? Even informally if the behaviour management system doesn’t allow it?

I’d be emailing your head of behaviour management and detailing exactly how these girls are destroying the learning of the rest of the class and asking where to go from there.

SelinaMyers Fri 19-Oct-18 18:07:57

Can you exit her? Stick her in the corridor for a couple of minutes and then go out and address her behaviour?

FlamingGusset Fri 19-Oct-18 19:53:23

Interesting, I live abroad and teach here. Our policy is that being sent out of class is the ultimate sanction, being sent out of class means a Saturday detention of several hours. Extremely hard line, on one hand it means that the threat of being sent out holds a lot of weight, but on the other hand it means that there's not a lot in between a stern bollocking and an extremely harsh punishment...

I live in a country where punishment is a little more "traditional", think lines given ! Also in a school that takes zero shit on behaviour. We're extremely backed up by management. So, whilst sending out is very very rare, generally the threat of extra work calms them right down. There's also a system in place where 4 punishments results in a Saturday detention, so normally they and toe the line.

MaisyPops Sat 20-Oct-18 22:35:18

I agree with noble. There should be a policy for what to do if and when a child's behaviour is hindering other children learning.
If there's nowhere for them to go thrn either there are poor systems (suggesting poor handle on behaviour in the school) or the school is in denial about behaviour (probably because staff allow disruptive students to remain in for fear of appearing weak / there are fewer behaviour issue because staff don't hold standards / behaviour is governed by likeability not strategy).

I'd be asking my HOD how they'll account for poor pupil outcomes after one child ruins 29 other students getting an education. HODs are paid the money to deal with situations like this

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in