Talk

Advanced search

year 5 job interview help

(7 Posts)
fairyofallthings Fri 05-Oct-18 07:00:30

I've got an interview next week for a year 5 job in a mainstream primary school and as part of it I have to teach a phonics lesson to the year 5 class. It's been a while since I've done phonics with older children - any ideas please?

OP’s posts: |
Ava1988 Fri 05-Oct-18 07:10:58

Does the school still do phonics in year 5? If they do it mifht be useful to find out what scheme they use because the vocabulary etc really varies!

fairyofallthings Fri 05-Oct-18 09:10:48

They do L&S with children who struggle with phonics, I'll have a look - it's going to be a challenge to find an age appropriate challenge that suits their ability.

Ava1988 Fri 05-Oct-18 19:33:09

I agree. Maybe find out what Phase they are on. I wonder if it could have spelling focus based on the sounds they've done? Sorry I've not be much help! It's an unusual one!

deary Fri 05-Oct-18 20:15:12

How long is the lesson?
You could look at no nonsense spellings for year 5 and pick one of their lesson structures.
We've just done -ible and -able words. Looking at rules to help you know which one it is more likely to be.
Not strictly phonics I suppose- but year 5 appropriate!

fairyofallthings Fri 05-Oct-18 21:02:15

It's 20 minutes so I was thinking of revisiting something and then introducing something new -ible and -able would be good, thanks.

HettieBettie Fri 05-Oct-18 21:07:04

have you called the school to get info on the children/ where they are at? Schools like this shows you’re all about assessment and moving learning forward even in an interview.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in