Talk

Advanced search

Other career options?

(6 Posts)
Imsosorryalan75 Wed 12-Sep-18 21:15:35

I know it's been done to death but I'm looking for some inspiration! I'm fed up of being in the classroom. I'm a qualified teacher, currently working as a TA which is better but not very mentally challenging (for me). However, I have no other skills except teaching! If you have left, please tell me what you got into with just your teaching qualification..I'm struggling to find opportunities outside the classroom!

OP’s posts: |
WhippetyStourie Thu 13-Sep-18 06:21:57

After leaving teaching for a number of years to raise my family I have just started working in a library. I have no library qualifications but had some voluntary experience. I had to big up my ‘transferable skills’ on the job application and at interview. It is a casual, low level position. I could certainly make a lot more money going back to teaching but I don’t want the stress.

creepingbuttercupdrivesmemad Thu 13-Sep-18 06:33:30

Prison teaching?
You're still in a classroom, admittedly, but with far fewer students.

phlebasconsidered Thu 13-Sep-18 07:17:48

I'm a qualified librarian and I keep looking around for local jobs but the fact is, like teaching, the library services ( where there are any left) want cheap newly qualifieds / unqualifieds and the pay is rubbish!

I don't want to tutor. I just keep daydreaming of business ideas.

My other option is to sell my soul and teach privately. Small class sizes would be a dream and tons easier after 35 kids with no TA! However, this would please my arch snob private school head sister in law too much so I never will!

nomoreheroesanymore Fri 14-Sep-18 11:29:01

I've just started teaching on the PGCE at my local university. Love it! Highly recommend.

SuperPug Fri 14-Sep-18 22:29:37

Each to their own but I really don't think working in an independent school is selling your soul..

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in