Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else ready to quit already?

(44 Posts)
MsJaneAusten Wed 05-Sep-18 21:59:59

Ugh. 5th September and I'm already done.

I'm getting more and more resentful about the amount of time I am putting into other people's children at the expense of my own.

Seriously considering alternative careers.

OP’s posts: |
NellieBee Wed 05-Sep-18 22:09:02

Honestly I think when you get to this point it's time to leave.

Nothing worse than a teacher who doesn't want to be there/resents it!

Good luck finding something else that's right for you. (Sincerely)

HollowTalk Wed 05-Sep-18 22:11:34

Most teachers are great actors, though! It's not as though everyone knows they want to get out.

tillytop Wed 05-Sep-18 22:13:12

What are the main problems?

MsJaneAusten Wed 05-Sep-18 22:16:42

Workload @tillytop

Heavier timetable, bigger classes, more meetings... We're three days in and I already feel like I'm drowning.

I love, love, love actual teaching. I hate all of the crap that goes around it.

OP’s posts: |
tillytop Wed 05-Sep-18 22:26:59

I sympathise. I'm probably a lot older than you and I've noticed a big difference when people talk about teachers. Don't know why, but it seems as though respect has gone which makes me sad. When my kids were young (adults now) teachers were respected and appreciated for the work they do. After all, you're partly bringing up our dc alongside us. All I hear nowadays are complaints. Probably not much help, but some of us recognise how important and difficult your work is flowers wine

ohreallyohreallyoh Wed 05-Sep-18 22:33:39

It is difficult to shake the ‘other people’s children at the expense of my own’ once you have that thought. Happened to me 2 years ago. I resigned January, let in July and have worked supply ever since. If you can take a salary cut, it is worth considering.

wentmadinthecountry Wed 05-Sep-18 23:21:33

There's a very grumpy lady gets on the bus at dd3's bus stop. Don't know her but she's always grumpy. Dd's first day back and as I dropped her there (it's over a mile, I'm not precious) we talked about how said woman was probably dreading all the secondary school children being on the bus again.

Dd then said she forgets how everyone doesn't get the same holiday as me and how lucky she is that we can do loads over the school holidays.

I'm at a different point - she's youngest of 4 at 14, and her next oldest sibling is 21. But it made me feel less bad about coming home late.

wentmadinthecountry Wed 05-Sep-18 23:24:30

Oh, and I really love my job, probably because I had a good 16 years mainly off in the middle. I would be worn down by now if I hadn't had the longest career break ever.

tillytop Wed 05-Sep-18 23:29:44

MsJane what are the hours nowadays? And size of classes? I hope you don't have to give it up, you'll be an incentive to the kids loving the actual teaching as you do.

tillytop Wed 05-Sep-18 23:36:45

wentmad do you receive the respect you deserve?

Whippedtoafrenzy Wed 05-Sep-18 23:40:11

Today heard myself describe as an ex-teacher with massive lump in my throat; taken a MASSIVE pay cut but NOTHING will entice me back into the classroom nor the staff room.

Yumyumbananas Wed 05-Sep-18 23:41:14

Me.... I feel incredibly sad about my own children being exhausted after a very long school day. My school will not allow me to be part time so they have these long days all week long. I’m close to tears about it today. I’m the main earner so it’s not easy for me to take a pay cut but something has to change. I love teaching but I’m sacrificing my family’s wellbeing for it.

tillytop Wed 05-Sep-18 23:46:03

Shouldn't be like this! Empathy with you all flowers

ThrowThoseCurtainsWide Wed 05-Sep-18 23:52:32

Me! I'm support staff, but I see it every day. I end up picking up the slack in my department of bits that the teachers should be doing but can't because they're snowed under. My department really appreciate me, but within the wider school I'm not at all appreciated for the sheer amount of work that I do for very little pay. I've always wanted to be a teacher (currently doing a distance learning degree) The plan was to do a GTP year after that, but the longer I work in schools the less I want to do it

Yumyumbananas Thu 06-Sep-18 00:04:31

I should have said my own children’s very long school plus wrap around days. They’re in childcare from
7.30am until 5.30/6pm.

monkeysox Thu 06-Sep-18 06:05:53

Gtp doesn't exist anymore. Hope you can train if you want to. flowers for op too

SloeBerries Thu 06-Sep-18 07:24:21

I left a senior post two years ago. Honestly no regrets, I still like children and teaching- I get that out my system with working with my own, helping with Beavers and Sunday school!

ThrowThoseCurtainsWide Thu 06-Sep-18 07:40:36

monkeysocks I didn't know that! Teach first is essentially the same thing though isn't it? I've got another 5 years left of my part-time degree anyway. Another 5 years working in a school and I'll probably be done with education for good!

MissEliza Thu 06-Sep-18 13:09:52

Throw are you doing w distance learning PGCE?

ThrowThoseCurtainsWide Thu 06-Sep-18 17:32:55

Nope, just a distance learning degree at the moment. I have no idea what I want to do after that to be honest!

continuallychargingmyphone Thu 06-Sep-18 17:37:19

Can’t you take some work home with you yum?

Fizzyhedgehog Thu 06-Sep-18 18:15:57

It's one reason why I quit last February. I left at Easter.
I haven't left teaching, though. I'm now at an independent school abroad. It's got it's own challenges and my DS is still in nursery 8am-5pm, but the difference is that when I pick him up at 5pm, I'm done. I'm not usually taking any work home. I only work on my day off while he's having his nap. I don't spend all weekend working. I teach a class of 12. Nobody is asking to see my planning. I don't have any performance management targets. I don't have to have ridiculous data meetings (I used to teach Year 6) or set unrealistic targets for my pupils.
It means I get to spend more time with my DS and I'm less stressed than I used to be.

monkeysox Thu 06-Sep-18 19:10:42

@throwthosecurtainswide
Teach first is definitely not the same as gtp.
You're straight in to teaching with teach first.
Gtp was gradual. Observing firs while and slowly getting to know classes and doing parts of lessons. Building to 50%,60%,70% ish timetable over the three terms.
Teach first is usually in shitty schools in bad areas. Shudder.

Scooby23 Thu 06-Sep-18 21:18:09

Whipped ... this could be me! First year out after 20 years. Have great job still with children but am devastated at the end of my teaching career when it’s what I wanted to do my whole life.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in