Talk

Advanced search

Changing from secondary to primary in Scotland

(4 Posts)
Bloodyfucksake Tue 04-Sep-18 12:18:02

Hi,
I hope someone can help. I've contacted the GTCS for advice but I would love to hear peoples life experiences.

I worked as a secondary teacher in Scotland before moving abroad to teach my subject in an international school. I thought for only a year or so, but 13 years and 3 kids later I'm now getting ready to go home.

In my current role I deliver my subject to the whole school from age 7 to 18! I was imagining going back to work at home and realised I will miss teaching these younger age groups.

So, has anyone changed from secondary to primary? My degree is not in a core subject but I think it would be a desirable subject to have under your belt in a primary school.

I did pass Highers Maths and English way back when too.

What do I need to do? I am happy to go back and study - in fact I think I would love it. The more I think of making a change, the more excited I get. Any opinions welcome.

OP’s posts: |
Cismyfatarse1 Tue 04-Sep-18 12:35:33

It looks to me like your starting point needs to be a school (with a job, or the promise of one) where they support you to get through the things needed for additional registration.

Primary teachers are in very short supply. You are very likely to be well supported if you choose to go this route. Good luck!

Pythonesque Tue 04-Sep-18 14:12:23

I'd also consider looking in the independent sector. I know a wonderful music teacher who started in secondary then switched to prep schools.

Bloodyfucksake Tue 04-Sep-18 16:54:02

Im not that keen on working in the private sector again. Ive been doing it now for 13 years and I would like to return to state schools.

Do schools in Scotland support you through training? Im way out of touch! No idea about the system nowadays.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in