Advanced search

TA training (Level 2) required for job HELP with options please

(7 Posts)
Cherrypie32 Sun 02-Sep-18 23:17:18

A p/t TA role in our local infants school requires ‘Level 2 or equivalent in Supporting Teaching and Learning’. I’m interviewing for the post this week and put on my application form that I would be willing to undertake this qualification on the job. But I’m really confused after googling as to what the options are. Distance learning, e-learning, local college?? But also the cost involved varies so much and this is a pretty low paid job to be paying course fees. Can anyone help or advise what they did in this position?

OP’s posts: |
rillette Sun 02-Sep-18 23:45:36

Maybe they mean that as a minimum? I was a TA with an undergraduate degree, I never did a specific TA qualification. If you have A Levels/NVQs/equivalent these should count? It does sound like they are looking for someone with appropriate experience.

imip Mon 03-Sep-18 07:06:39

I completed my level 2 in the local college last year. Academically, it wasn’t challenging as I have post-grad qualifications, but it was interesting. It was bloody expensive though £700-. I’d say if you got the job I’d only do a distance learning or online course, but if you’ve been shortlisted for interview I think it’s a good sign you could do it via a cheaper way. I’d be surprised if they’d pay for it though.

I start a ta job today, part time - I’ll probably pay back the course with 6 months of my salary grin

FiveMoreMinutesPlease Mon 03-Sep-18 07:18:09

You could google the TA teaching standards, which they use in school for CPD and appraisals. This is what the TA course is (I did it a few years ago). If you have a look through it it will give you an idea of what they will be looking for and help you answer any TA training questions.

Cherrypie32 Mon 03-Sep-18 07:49:44

Thanks for these (very swift) replies. I’ve got a degree and have just finished 4 years as a parent governor at the school. From being part of interview panels I know this qualification is important to the Head. £700 is cheap, some of the online courses are a couple of thousand although this would be my preference as i can’t get to college in the evening.

OP’s posts: |
imip Mon 03-Sep-18 08:44:56

My college course was 3 hrs per week during school hours. I’m sure a friend of mine paid around £200 to do the course online.

PoptartPoptart Fri 07-Sep-18 11:26:23

I did the the Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 2 at my local adult education college.
It’s 3hrs once a week (I did an evening class). I also volunteered in a school for 3 days a week.
It cost about £800.
I got homework every week - a piece of writing based on that weeks module.
It was fairly easy and didn’t take long to complete.
I found it really interesting and it certainly educated and prepared me for the job.
I then went on to do the Level 3, which basically just builds on the work from level 2.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in