Advanced search

Chi!d psychology courses for teachers?

(7 Posts)
OpiningGambit Sun 12-Aug-18 22:25:00

I've been looking, but I can't find any child psychology courses aimed at teachers. Can anyone recommend one? Or just good general ones, not teacher-specific. There are just so many damaged children in my school (I'm sure in many schools) and I feel so ill equipped!

OP’s posts: |
EmUntitled Mon 13-Aug-18 07:38:12

Maybe searching for "child psychology" is the wrong term? Try looking at "mental health" CPD for teachers instead.

I've found a few here to give you an idea
This last one I'm not sure if it's aimed specifically at teachers but there is lots of there.

Noboozeforme Mon 13-Aug-18 08:02:09

Does your school have access to the LA training ?

OpiningGambit Mon 13-Aug-18 09:49:34

EmUntitled thank you! I think you're right, 'child psychology' seems to bring up particular results, and these are much more relevant.

Noboozeforme I assume we do, but of course I have chosen the most convenient time to be thinking about this!

OP’s posts: |
cantfindamoniker Mon 13-Aug-18 10:21:13

There are a number of options depending on the age group you teach.

Local Authority Educational Psychology Service will be able to offer something. Consider a different LA EPS if not.

Many teachers speak v v positively about THRIVE training. You could contact a school that is THRIVE trained and visit and see if it's for you? It is best to involve others in the school too. If you implement THRIVE you'll need HT permission etc (It may mean taking students out of class and staff to backfilll etc).

Hands on training for groups such as Group Theraplay include training in understanding and managing children with different needs. It's a two day course. It's excellent. There aren't many courses around and they may only be once or twice a year and you may need to travel to them. You'd want Group Theraplay probably (Not Theraplay which is a more intensive individual child and parent therapeutic approach).

There is the odd child or educational psychologist who offer online support. These are very rare.

The best option might be a face to face consultation with an educational psychologist about specific. Schools need to pay though...

cantfindamoniker Mon 13-Aug-18 10:22:50

^ about specific children...

parrotonmyshoulder Mon 13-Aug-18 18:40:08

We’ve had a lot of training offered in emotional well being and child/ adolescent mental health - delivered by CAMHS and other local services. Only for a few teachers per school though.

THRIVE is great, but a whole school approach and expensive.

Perhaps you could look at ‘trauma informed schools’ too. This might be what you need.

Look up Margot Sunderland and see if she is going any conferences/ training near you.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in