Talk

Advanced search

Permanent to supply teaching.

(5 Posts)
Bekindtoall78 Thu 21-Jun-18 18:43:04

So, has anyone made the jump?
I'm 60% sure I'm going to leave a Christmas and go into the world of supply.
I've been teaching 20 years and really can't keep up with it anymore.
Any advice would be great. Thank you in advance :-)

OP’s posts: |
disappearingninepatch Fri 22-Jun-18 07:40:02

I did this 18 months ago. The only downside is the money. If there is any way you can avoid working through an agency, do that. Approach schools directly. Then you will be paid to scale. I know from a fb group that in some areas work is scarce but I get as much as I want. Positives are numerous - work-life balance, time for my own DC, flexibility, walk out at the end of the day and don't look back, have a bad day? don't have to go back.

Buzzing54 Fri 22-Jun-18 07:53:02

I really enjoyed it for a couple of years (primary) generally lots of work in my area but still some quiet times (September)

Definitely made me a better and more relaxed teacher and you realise a lot of stuff that seems really important when you're in a school actually isn't that vital (e.g. you're under increasing pressure to implement new complex marking scheme, the school 3 miles down the road doesn't do that at all but they're spending loads of time on new SEN assessment paperwork!
I did some really successful lessons off the cuff and kids didn't suffer at all from lack of success criteria!)

It did make me realise a lot of schools are not great places to be at the moment, which gave me confidence it wasn't my teaching that had gone downhill. It's the system. So depressing, but in a heartening sort of way??

Have a plan for the summer holidays, you'll really feel the pinch then. Extra exam marking in summer term to help you save up or I taught English to foreign students (I'm lucky there's a market for this in my area and i had no childcare to consider)

I couldn't really avoid using agencies but you can shop around for best deal and negotiate higher rates if you're experienced.

I didn't take any contract longer than 4 weeks as then you are expected to plan, deep mark, attend parents evening, write reports etc. If you take a contract longer than 12 weeks they have to pay you at scale point but it wasn't worth the pay off for me. Casual short term means you can leave at the end of the day and not worry about it.

Most schools are really grateful for anyone half way decent. I felt like when I had permanent jobs however much I did, it was never enough. On supply the smallest effort you make (e.g. actually trying to follow marking scheme, not leaving classroom in a state) is very much appreciated. It may depend on what's in your area of course!

Good luck!

SumerisIcumenin Fri 22-Jun-18 07:55:41

I did it after 20+ years as a ft class teacher, only downside is the money. Most schools use agencies now. I love the freedom to have a work/ life balance.

Bekindtoall78 Fri 22-Jun-18 17:40:07

Thank you so much for replies.

I have the luxury of being on ups, but I've realises the money isn't worth my health.

I'm looking into marking exams and tutoring when I can to top up money, plus cutting out non necessities such as mobile contract and paying for a tv package etc. I've made a plan like this as some outgoings can be cut back.

I want some freedom and this is the only way I can see how.

I think I might approach schools in the local area and see if I can get work like that, but I'm already with an agency.

Thanks again for the good advice smile

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in