Talk

Advanced search

Advice need for a friend - redundancy

(8 Posts)
ChocolatePeacock Tue 12-Jun-18 20:42:41

Hi,
A friend/colleague of mine asked for some advice today and I didn't know the answer. I'm sure some clever bod here will know though!
We work in a school and my friend is Head of Year. She isn't a teacher though and all the other Heads of year are. This year SLT have decided that all only want teachers as Head of Year.
My friend has been told they will have new job description and a pay cut as part of the restructure. The role isn't redundant, they just want to give it to someone else. None of the other HOY have been affected as they are teachers.
This isn't right is it? You can't make someone take a demotion without making them redundant and call it restructuring, can you? She has worked in the school for 15 years, 4 years in her current post.
What do you think?

flowery Tue 12-Jun-18 21:00:16

Your friend spends all her time being Head of Year, with no teaching involved? And now they want to incorporate that workload into a teacher's job? What's the new job they've created?

It does sound like the full time Head of Year role is redundant, and they've decided to restructure the responsibilities of the role and have some of them covered by a teacher and others covered by a lower-level role, is that right?

Unless the lower level role is suitable and on no less favourable terms and conditions, your friend would be redundant, yes, by the sounds of things.

Is she in a union?

ChocolatePeacock Tue 12-Jun-18 21:20:32

Yes, that's right. She is in a union bit she doesn't feel they have been very effective.
The new job is less money so less pension etc. She says she will look for a new job and leave, but I think she should push for redundancy rather than accept the new terms. That way she will leave but with a payout.
I might be way off the mark though. I have no experience with this at all!

AnyaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 13-Jun-18 10:34:50

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know, OP has asked us to move this thread to The Staff Room, so we're doing that now.

flowery Wed 13-Jun-18 10:44:12

"Just to let you know, OP has asked us to move this thread to The Staff Room, so we're doing that now."

confused

Ok then. Hope you get the advice you're looking for there OP.

ChocolatePeacock Wed 13-Jun-18 11:11:29

Sorry flowery, I asked for it to be moved before you replied because no one had. No disrespect meant smile

flowery Wed 13-Jun-18 15:47:01

That's odd, my reply is showing as only being 18 minutes after you posted the thread. Not to worry, must be some kind of glitch. Hope you get what you are after here anyway.

StruggsToFunc Wed 13-Jun-18 21:46:59

I’m no expert and your friend really does need proper legal advice, but the problem is that as you say this isn’t a question of redundancy. The role still exists, but now has a requirement which your friend does not meet.

Lots of schools have non-teaching pastoral roles but it is very unusual for them to have parity of pay with teaching staff with a pastoral TLR. I think your friend may struggle to find another role like the one they have done until now. Would they consider getting QTS?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: