Advanced search

Handing in Notice

(12 Posts)
Rainbowfairy9 Thu 31-May-18 08:42:04

It's that looking notice deadline day. I'm seriously considering putting my notice in today. Letter written out but I haven't secured another job. Has anyone done this but then still found a job for September. The thought of not having a job come September terrifies me but staying where I am for longer also does.

OP’s posts: |
C0untDucku1a Thu 31-May-18 08:43:51

I have the same feeling every year. Now ive lost all confidence and think ill end up returing there sad. Should have done it years ago.

Check the tes for available jobs to get an idea of what is out there. Are you primary or secondary? Ring an agency.

eggncress Thu 31-May-18 08:46:09

Supply teaching. As above, join an agency then leave

Rainbowfairy9 Thu 31-May-18 08:49:17

Primary and I've been looking on all the job sites and there is 1 or 2 that I would apply for just nervous to take the plunge I guess. Also wondering if many more jobs will crop up after today.

OP’s posts: |
piefacedClique Thu 31-May-18 08:49:41

I took voluntary redundancy last summer and secured work through a former colleague in a more local school within days of leaving.... I teach a small amount but cover supervisor for the rest.... it’s been a bumpy start but now the kids know me it’s so much better.... no responsibility, no meetings after school, can pick up and drop the kids off and I don’t travel for 3 hrs a day! It pays less but it’s worth it not to have the stress! Hoping my teaching hours will
Increase over time. Good luck!

Scooby23 Thu 31-May-18 10:29:48

I did this on last possible day but on Oct as opposed to May. Did get another job - left old before Xmas and started new after. Have just done same again with no job for Sep but hoping it will be ok 😬 xx good luck

Buxbaum Thu 31-May-18 10:41:34

Send out your CV and covering letter by email to any schools you’re interested in, outlining the type of role you are looking for. You have a good chance of landing on the desk of a HT who’s panicking, having just received an unexpected resignation.

Send your resignation electronically as well as in hard copy in case HT etc aren’t in school today.

Rainbowfairy9 Thu 31-May-18 13:34:47

Thanks everyone I still can't make a decision on what to do but your replies have been very helpful. Scooby. Good luck hope you find something.

OP’s posts: |
piefacedClique Thu 31-May-18 13:57:19

I felt the same as you until I made the jump.... the day I decided I walked past our schools inclusion unit and on the door it had a sign saying ‘nothing changes till something changes’. I went straight back to mu classroom and that made me click send!

Narkle Thu 31-May-18 18:35:52

I'ts a bit late in the day, but I've done it twice.
Once I secured a job a few weeks into the first term (and used supply to tide me over) and once I walked into a job literally the day before my old contract ran out (but not a September role).
Both times I was glad I jumped ship and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I felt unwell at the thought of going back.
As it happens, I've secured a new role for September, but would have handed my notice in again this year regardless.

Buxbaum Fri 01-Jun-18 12:40:43

What did you decide to do, OP?

Scooby23 Fri 01-Jun-18 16:23:52

Yes, I was wondering the same. Whatever you choose I’m sure it will be right decision.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in