Advanced search

From TA to teacher

(44 Posts)
comfycosy123 Sat 26-May-18 14:57:53

Can you please explain the best and most effective way I can go from being a level 2 TA with 1 years experience to a primary teacher.

I live in Wales, I'm not sure if that makes a difference?

And I would prefer to study part time as I love being in the class room.

PurpleDaisies Sat 26-May-18 15:00:39

Have you got a degree? That’ll be the first hurdle.

Studying part time isn’t often an option but if you look for a school direct scheme, you’ll be in the classroom most of the time anyway.

joopy79 Sat 26-May-18 15:01:29

Teach first?

comfycosy123 Sat 26-May-18 15:06:38

I don't have a degree confused

Do you think it is even possible if I can't leave work to study full time ?

PurpleDaisies Sat 26-May-18 15:09:16

That’s going to be an issue.

You could do the three year primary education degree. There is funding available for tuition fees and maintenance (loans). What qualifications do you have now?

PurpleDaisies Sat 26-May-18 15:11:00

I think you can do the education degree part time but it takes six years.

PurpleDaisies Sat 26-May-18 15:13:58

Thinking about it, TA wages are so crap that you might find the maintenance loan isn’t far off what your salary is now, so don’t write off investing in your career now. TAs here have had massive cuts in hours and job losses. It would be worth training if you can.

comfycosy123 Sat 26-May-18 15:16:51

I only have my GCSE's and my NVQ level 2 in childcare.

My back story is , had my first child young (18) just got my level 2 before he was born and raised him as a single parent till I met my husband , his career has gone from strength to strength but mine has taken a back seat, that's fine but I'm ready to focus on me a little more but just keep bumping into walls.

My eldest is full time now but we have a younger child who is going to nursery September, that's why staying in Work is also important as we are still paying for childcare.

I don't think I would get to far with funding as my husband earns close to 40k

mangomama91 Sat 26-May-18 15:17:56

There's a primary education degree on open uni which then would give you a degree and you'd be able to then go down the school direct / pgce route afterwards.
I've done a foundation degree in teaching and learning part time which took two years (at a local college one afternoon/ evening a week) and currently looking after transferring credits to complete my degree by doing the primary education degree with open uni. And then go onto my teacher training.

PurpleDaisies Sat 26-May-18 15:21:12

I think you might struggle to get on an education degree without a levels but it’s worth contacting the providers to check.

Tuition fee loans aren’t means tested. Even with your husband’s salary, you’d still be entitled to some maintenance loan, probably about £4K ish if I remember correctly (you can check this with an online calculator).

How would you feel about doing a levels at a local college? You could use the time to start saving for when you were studying.

PurpleDaisies Sat 26-May-18 15:27:55

mangomama91’s suggestion looks great.

Do you think your husband would be up for supporting you in your career now? It sounds sounds like that would be fair.

Newlifeisstarting Sat 26-May-18 15:34:12

Go and talk to someone in a local university that offers teacher training. They will be able to discuss the various routes with you, but you will need an undergraduate degree. There may be a local access course, or an OU foundation degree to make up for lack of A levels. Teach First (as someone has mentioned it) requires a first or 2:1 degree and a certain amount of flexibility with area, which may not be possible as you have a family.

comfycosy123 Sat 26-May-18 15:40:40

Purple luckily he is really supportive.

I have just looked and my local college does the foundation degree in primary education that you mentioned, am I right in thinking that if I studied this I would still have to do a full degree in education before being able to do PGCE ?

I'm happy to do A levels if that's what is needed just makes me feel like I'm going abit backwards but if that's what's needed I will definitely do that.

I will go into both the uni and college after half term and see if they have any advice for me also.

deary Sat 26-May-18 15:51:22

I did an open university degree whilst working, then a PGCE. BUT, look into student loans and what you would actually get and would top up with tax credits (depends on your DP's income etc). You might find you are better off as a full time student for 3 years and come out with QTS.

comfycosy123 Sat 26-May-18 16:16:04

Deary with OU do you need to pay that out right ? Or can you get a student loan for it ?

We are not in receipt of tax credits because of DH income , and after some quick research the amount of maintenance loan doesn't differ to much to my wages but if I was in full time uni id possibly spend a little less on childcare.

I'd prefer to study while I'm working ! Is the OU degree highly recognised?

deary Sat 26-May-18 16:49:20

I paid for each module as I did it, but that was before the pricing structure changed. You can get student finance now I think.
I did my PGCE with several people who had completed their degrees whilst working as TAs. It is definitely doable.
Good luck!

comfycosy123 Sat 26-May-18 17:19:56

Thanks everyone I'm feeling a lot more positive about it now and will definitely start contacting the right organisations as soon as half term is up !! Thanks again smile

Apple23 Sat 26-May-18 19:26:39

Talk to your headteacher as soon as possible. They will be sorting staff deployment for next academic year and may be able to help e.g. place you where you can get the most relevant experience, give you release time or offer you part-time work (if you can afford the salary drop) for studying.

missmapp Sat 26-May-18 19:29:01

O have heard propelling access courses a route to a degree without a levels. I might be wrong though

missmapp Sat 26-May-18 19:29:49

I have heard of people....... Sorry. Should have previewed first !

Guardsman18 Sat 26-May-18 19:34:17

Have you had a look at Access courses? They are considered A levels by Universities and colleges. Takes a year full time and 2 part time.

Good luck x

Scabetty Sun 27-May-18 01:23:29

I did a level 3 childcare course and was able to get on a degree course with that. Lots of ways in to teaching so investigate and good lucksmile

user546425732 Sun 27-May-18 05:14:00

Good luck, the access course seems a good way to go.
I'm about to do the same as you but thankfully I got my ou degree last year whilst working as a full time TA.

PlumsGalore Sun 27-May-18 05:22:00

Access courses are quicker for a mature student than alevels, then you would have the minimum three year degree at full time, or longer for part time, but primary education with QTS is a three year course. You are looking at four years from now at full time student rate, longer for part time.

CheesecakeAddict Sun 27-May-18 07:24:10

Have a shop around because most undergrad courses include qts and pgce I believe. Also speak to the head at your school as well because they might be able to offer you part time or even a placement

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: