Talk

Advanced search

Accepted a job, but now my dream position has come up

(15 Posts)
cliffdiver Thu 24-May-18 20:18:58

Currently undertaking PGCE (Primary).

Went for and got a job a couple of months ago, which I was offered and accepted.

Due to start beginning of June.

HOWEVER, an NQT position is now being advertised at DDs school, which is where I would ideally love to work.

Would it be worth speaking to HT at DDs school and asking to be considered?

Both schools are close to each other and I have already mentioned to DDs CT that I have accepted a job at the other school.

cliffdiver Thu 24-May-18 20:19:33

*due to start at the beginning of July - not June.

Bobbiepin Thu 24-May-18 20:25:02

No no no no no.

1. Education is a small community. If you go for another job or worse, accept another job and leave 1st school in the poop, people will talk and its not good to have that against your name.

2. It's highly unprofessional.

3. I would never teach at my kid's school, it opens a lot of issues, especially if you may teach her. Let her develop her own identity at school, independent of you.

chocoshopoholic Thu 24-May-18 20:25:59

It would be considered bad form to drop the school that you have accepted so close to the May resignation date as it limits their replacement options significantly. If you accepted months ago its unlikely that any other appointable candidates they saw would still be available.

cliffdiver Thu 24-May-18 20:29:27

Thank you both.

That's exactly what my head is telling me too and put so bluntly was exactly what I needed to hear.

I guess the overwhelming feelings of guilt at not being able to pick my children up from school are clouding my judgement a bit.

noblegiraffe Thu 24-May-18 20:31:19

That’s how it goes in teaching, you’d be dropping your current job right in it if you broke your contract.
Jobs come up all the time. Take your current one, which is kind enough to be paying you over the summer, see how it goes and keep an eye out for jobs at the other school next year.

ForgivenessIsDivine Thu 24-May-18 20:31:30

You will be able to spend every holiday with them!!! Hold on to that!

cliffdiver Thu 24-May-18 20:34:43

I know, it would be against all my morals to back out of my current job. I'm not going to do it. Just a fleeting thought.

And yes, the holidays are definitely something to to hold onto 8 weeks until the summer holidays.

RippleEffects Thu 24-May-18 20:46:45

As the child of a teacher and now married to a teacher with school age DC, teaching isn't 9-3. If you got the job at your DC's school as an NQT you wouldn't be able to see them to their class room teacher in the morning, or meet them from class.

You'll be preparing your classroom, seeing your class and dealing with associated parent problems at both ends of the day. You'll possibly have a meetings night too.

Our middle son, secondary, goes to the same school DH teaches at. He has to hang around for 30mins plus and amuse himself in the morning, as a minimum it's the same at the end of the day. He has had to learn to turn a deaf ear and not listen to staff/ parent talk. More challenging for younger children and an enormous stress at either end of day for you.

My own mum was primary and she did supply at my school - we didn't really like it.

You'll all be able to enjoy the holidays though. That's a great bonus.

cliffdiver Thu 24-May-18 21:02:33

Thank you ripple, your views as a child having a parent at the school is interesting.

Right now DD1 (6) would love to have me working in her school but I am assuming this will it necessarily be the case as she gets older!

I completely understand it's not a 9-3 job, my placement means I mirror the CT and am usually in school between 8am and 5pm most days.

Cynderella Thu 24-May-18 22:48:10

Going to play devil's advocate ...

There will be teachers resigning at the end of May. Schools know this. Sometimes, it's because an interview is days before breaking up and a teacher resigns after being offered that job.

It is considered unprofessional to renege on an offer, but you have the same rights as any other teacher - if you want to apply and then accept another post, you are within your rights to do so. Polite to be very apologetic and honest with School 1.

I wouldn't have wanted to teach at my kids' school, but plenty of teachers do - works for some. If you think they'd want you, and you'd stay there a while, I would consider it. Just be straight with everyone if you do decide to apply.

noblegiraffe Thu 24-May-18 22:52:45

You can resign in May to finish end of August, but the OP has a job starting in July so how would that work?

Cynderella Thu 24-May-18 23:02:13

You can resign in May to finish end of August, but the OP has a job starting in July so how would that work?

Good point, Batman. I suppose it's easiest to stick with what you have.

castasp Fri 25-May-18 18:02:41

I'm in a similar situation. Up until Easter I was doing supply in a really lovely school, nearest school to me out of catchment, so perfect for me distance wise, lovely kids, lovely staff etc. I felt like it was "my" school, but I needed a permanent job and the supply at the school was only once a week and no one ever left the school because it was so lovely. therefore, I felt I had to apply for other jobs.

Started another job at Easter, and within a week of me starting there, I had frantic emails from the school asking me to come back, because the only teacher who teaches my subject to A-level had handed their notice in!

With a very heavy heart, I've decided to stay put for now - the staff at my current school are lovely (kids awful though), and it's only another 10 minutes added onto my commute, so not too bad.

Every day I remind myself of the negatives of the other school (there are some minor ones), and the positives of my new one and I've decided I'm staying put for at least a full academic year.

I very definitely know how you feel - it really is awful. After working in industry, I find recruitment in teaching so bizarre.

SalveGrumio Fri 25-May-18 18:05:31

Legally its a breach of contract. So it is just immoral/unprofessional etc. You are not within your rights to apply for other jobs. A verbal contract is binding.

But it does happen.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: