Advanced search

Not a teacher or a TA - which union?

(14 Posts)
TheSecondOfHerName Tue 08-May-18 19:55:19

I've been working in a secondary school for 18 months. My role involves taking care of the health, wellbeing and medical needs of students. This is my first job in a school, but I have previously worked in the NHS.

I'm considering joining a union, and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for which union might be most suitable for my role.

Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
BettyBettyBetty Tue 08-May-18 20:04:18

Unison for me smile

HolidayHelpPlease Tue 08-May-18 20:06:30

I’m a teacher (and NUT) but the Voice is very popular with support staff in my school

TheSecondOfHerName Tue 08-May-18 22:10:42

Thank you both.

Do you think it matters if you join the same union as the majority of your colleagues?

OP’s posts: |
HolidayHelpPlease Wed 09-May-18 07:05:21

I’m not massively clued up with unions, but I joined the one with who I felt was the strongest rep. I felt it was really important to have someone who I knew would stick up for me.

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 10-May-18 16:55:54

Thanks HolidayHelpPlease

Ideally, I'd include that as a factor. There are two reps in the school (that I'm aware of), one for the NASUWT and the other for the NEU. As a non-teacher, neither of these unions would be on my obvious shortlist.

I'm veering towards UNISON, which I know that some of the other support staff belong to.

OP’s posts: |
cricketballs3 Thu 10-May-18 18:28:30

the NEU does cover non-teaching staff - we have support staff, office staff, TAs and technicians as well as teachers at my school in the NEU.

I would base your decision on if you have a rep (or at least a decent one!) as the reason why so many non-teaching staff have joined the NEU at my school is that there was no UNISON rep and their regional rep was not easy to contact

BUT you do need to join a union, no matter which one just for the legal support alone due to the chances of any allegation made against you

Aragog Thu 10-May-18 18:30:11

Pretty much all the support staff inc the LSAs/Tas are with Unison at my school.

leghairdontcare Thu 10-May-18 18:32:08

As you're support staff, unison is the obvious choice. Ask other members about how the representation is on the ground.

NeedForBlossom Fri 11-May-18 07:08:31

I'm support and have just joined NEU.

They are offering a £10 joining fee til September.

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 11-May-18 08:17:24

NeedForBlossom is the £10 regardless of what salary you are on?
With UNISON I would be paying £6 pm.

OP’s posts: |
TheSecondOfHerName Fri 11-May-18 08:19:46

Just checked and NEU would be the initial £10 then £50 per year, which is comparable.

OP’s posts: |
HuckfromScandal Fri 11-May-18 08:26:00

Unison all the way
Find out if you have a rep in your school. If not you can always consider getting involved? They give amazing training, and are always keen to get people involved.

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 11-May-18 10:12:03

Thank you all for your help & advice.

I've applied to join UNISON.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in