Talk

Advanced search

Are there any other teachers who have another job ‘on the side’?!

(28 Posts)
Redlocks28 Sun 08-Apr-18 14:31:06

I don’t mean doing anything rude!

I’m part time in a school I love, in a role I love, but I just don’t earn enough money on the days I do!

There’s no scope for more days there, I don’t want to leave that school, I don’t really want to do supply and there aren’t any jobs in my role to do in addition to this locally.

I want to work another day a week/earn another £100 a week really-what on earth else can I do that isn’t crap?! I don’t want to sell juices or deliver Avon catalogues. I wouldn’t even mind working in a shop one day a week but I have no idea what that would pay and doubt anyone would want to employ me for just one day! Tuition is an option but that really doesn’t fit in with childcare.

Does anyone do anything ‘else’?!

Dingdong1975 Sun 08-Apr-18 14:34:00

My English teacher used to give me and my sisters private tuition after school once a week.

MadeinBelfast Sun 08-Apr-18 14:46:40

Could you do a day of supply teaching? Or if you are secondary you could also apply to do some exam marking. It's dull and probably not enough money for you but it's nice to get a lump sum in time for the summer holidays! Tutoring can be well paid but is often in the evenings when you're tired after work.

MarsaliOL Sun 08-Apr-18 15:30:57

Have you considered making resources to sell on Tes or TPT? If you're handy with a computer it might be possible to make a good income.

Or work with Twinkl? They're always looking for people.

tutorwho Sun 08-Apr-18 15:53:14

The tutoring world is expanding quite a bit now. You could look at tutoring online if you feel confident with using a computer.

AlexanderHamilton Sun 08-Apr-18 15:56:15

MY husband used to teach for Stagecoach on Saturdays.

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 08-Apr-18 16:02:48

I do work for the Scottish Qualifications Authority as well as teaching. It’s project based so not always regular income, but it pays well, and the money is used for extras.

ohreallyohreallyoh Sun 08-Apr-18 16:55:11

Tutoring. I turn down more than I actually do. On average, I do £60 - 100 a week during term time, less during holidays.

Grassyass Sun 08-Apr-18 16:58:51

Those who tutor, is there scope for tutoring outside London?
What's the going rate and is the tax side complicated?

Trippedupagain Sun 08-Apr-18 17:14:21

It depends what you teach but you could look at exam marking if you are a subject teacher in secondary. It's only for certain times of the year, obviously, but the pay is better than shop work!

Redlocks28 Sun 08-Apr-18 17:17:25

Thank you for all the replies. Tutoring isn’t ideal because of the hours really.

I’m primary rather than secondary-I presume that means I couldn’t do exam marking?

toomuchicecream Sun 08-Apr-18 17:32:30

You could mark year 6 SATS papers!

Ishouldntbesolucky Sun 08-Apr-18 17:36:06

Sell resources through zigzag education maybe?

monkeysox Sun 08-Apr-18 17:51:57

Do one day supply each week

ohreallyohreallyoh Sun 08-Apr-18 21:20:23

Re: tutoring, yes, very much scope outside of London, but I am MFL so what bearing that may or may not have I don’t know. I currently have 2 A level students, 3 GCSE, 2 adults, a family and a uni student preparing for an exam. I have turned down twice what I currently have since September. Obviously most of that will fall away come the end of May and then start picking up again in September. I teach supply during the week and for the first time, I have a contract for exam marking this year. I do ‘t find tax complicated but my friend is a bookkeeper and she sorts it for me. I just keep receipts for everything - paper, pens, texts, printer ink etc and I don’t pay very much tax when it’s all done.

MsAwesomeDragon Sun 08-Apr-18 21:28:14

One of my teacher friends has a children's party business on the side. She does a couple of parties a week and makes a decent amount. She also gets a decent amount of bookings for sessions with schools on her days off during term time, or Brownies/cubs in the evenings. She's a secondary science teacher and she does science parties.

Do you could look for a market for something like that.

Or another friend does matched betting, and seems to make a decent amount from that. I don't know much about it, but she seems to do a few hours a week and earns similarly to tutoring, without ever leaving the house.

GHGN Mon 09-Apr-18 11:19:49

Tutoring can be very lucrative if you teach the right subject and get good results.

Donna1605 Wed 11-Apr-18 20:45:05

I am also part time- but I want to stay part time due to childcare etc... I have done tutoring in the past- and it is good for extra income.
Some people wouldn't mind you working in a shop just for a day, especially newsagents etc.. as there is often a rota etc..
I have done avon and usborne too- but now I do PartyLite which helps me with extra cash too. xx

Nowwhyareyoucrying Wed 11-Apr-18 20:57:14

What about one days nannying? Some families find it hard to fill just one day positions so depending on where you are you may find something easily that suits.

PixieN Sat 14-Apr-18 09:44:50

My DH tutors some A-level students in the day when they have frees/afternoons with no lessons so it can be done in the day. Some schools also finish earlier - a friend works at one that finishes early on Fridays. My DH also tutors one lad from 4.00-5.00 so not too late a finish.

PixieN Sat 14-Apr-18 09:47:19

You could also look at education centres like Kip McGrath & see if there are any centres near you for tuition.

PotteringAlong Sat 14-Apr-18 09:49:48

Someone I teach with does 3 days teaching and runs baby / toddler classes on the other 2 days.

PinkAvocado Sat 14-Apr-18 09:50:43

I agree with pp about nannying or childcare for a day. Here, people often ask on local pages for ad hoc, short term or one day/half day care.

gamerwidow Sat 14-Apr-18 09:52:37

One of the teachers at DDs school works at Pizza Hut at the weekend. Tbh I think it's a disgrace a full time teaching salary isn't enough to pay his bills.

PinkAvocado Sat 14-Apr-18 09:56:37

A friend of mine also works in a restaurant at the weekends (and does well from tips). I’ve marked SATs papers and covered staff holiday in day nurseries during school holidays.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: