Advanced search

1-1 TA worried my job is now not needed

(14 Posts)
Storminateacup74 Mon 19-Mar-18 19:14:00

I am a 1-1 TA and the child I support has a EHCP for 20 hrs, and i have found out today that she is going to a special school after Easter. I am so pleased for her as she really can't cope in mainstream. However where does this leave my job.? When she leaves does that mean my role is no longer needed. We do have other children in the school who could easily have 1-1 teaching assistants but there is no budget to pay anyone as they get no funding as they have no EHCPs. I am really worried I will be jobless after Easter. Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Marlinspike Mon 19-Mar-18 19:15:46

How long have you worked at your school? They may need to go through a redundancy process. Has the Head spoken to you at all?

MushroomSoup Mon 19-Mar-18 19:16:25

This completely depends on your contract. If you were employed as a general TA, your job is not at risk.

If you were employed as an SEN support, it might be.

If you were employed as a 1-1 TA linked to a specific child, it probably is.

GreenTulips Mon 19-Mar-18 19:19:03

Ask the HT - in my experience the HT doesn't want to lose staff so you may be ok

jmh740 Mon 19-Mar-18 19:20:09

What does your contract say? Mine says I'm employed for as long as the child is at the school so in the situation you described the job would be over. Can you speak to your line manager?

mummyhaschangedhername Mon 19-Mar-18 19:21:18

I'm in Wales, so possibly different but the funding for your position should already be there for the rest of the year. I know that's the case with my son when we moved, his TA was still funded until the end of the year so jus helped someone else.

ASDismynormality Mon 19-Mar-18 19:21:48

1-1s at my child’s school are employed for the duration of the funding. The school may be able to find another role for you.

PattiStanger Mon 19-Mar-18 19:23:40

Not a TA but I've had a similar issue as a governor

A 1:1 TA was needed with no guarantee that the child would stay for a ful! year, iirc the HT said the job would end of the child left. The school didn't need and couldn't afford to employ the person otherwise

PattiStanger Mon 19-Mar-18 19:25:49

It doesn't work like that in England mummy, the funding goes with the child

Scabetty Mon 19-Mar-18 19:28:32

They may have funded you for the academic year so you will be deployed till end of summer term. Probably use you to support non-funded children. You need to ask adap.

Scabetty Mon 19-Mar-18 19:28:50


Storminateacup74 Mon 19-Mar-18 19:32:37

I do need to find my contract but is buried in a box somewhere as we are in the middle of building work but i have a feeling i am employed as a TA rather than a SEN TA. I have been at the school for 4 years and the first two years I was employed on 2 one year contracts and I was made permanent 2 years ago. I worked with the same child for 3 years and he left last year in year 6. They then put me with the little girl I work with now as her funding had just come through. There are so many kids who warrant a 1-1 but i know from various staff meetings that without funding the school can not afford to pay anyone that is why I am a bit worried as her funding pays my wages!!

OP’s posts: |
Scabetty Mon 19-Mar-18 19:37:29

They will find work for you if you have a permanent contract I suspect. Ask the HR staff tomorrow for a copy of your contract and speak to or email the Head.

Teaandbiscuits35 Mon 19-Mar-18 22:44:35

This happened to me and I was assigned enough children to make up my hours. You've worked there a while so you should be fine.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in