Talk

Advanced search

Reception teachers - what are your end of year expectations?

(7 Posts)
ladybirdsarelovely33 Mon 05-Mar-18 00:00:03

I ask this a KS1/ KS2 teacher. But also as a mum of a Reception aged child.
I would like to have conversation with dd's teacher but I want to be factual and not carried away with emotion.

Dd doesn't get any handwriting sheets home. She gets maths challenges and guided reading books. She has definitely come on with her writing since Sept and has a desire to write and so I do some work at home with her.
I used to teach in Y1 and had children coming up to me being able to write in paragraphs (inner London state schools). Even middle ability children could write a few sentences too.
I can't see from the EYFS docs online what expectations of children ought to be seem very vague.

From what dd says, they practise writing by play -e.g making letters on the carpet. There is no letter writing practise on paper.

I also do not feel the teacher who is an NQT knows my dd very well. She said in a recent parent's meeting, that dd could count to 12. Well she has being doing that since she was 2 years old! She is though a very nice teacher and dd is generally happy when she goes in and comes out of school.

So I would appreciate advice on what expectations are and what I can say without being a PITA.

OP’s posts: |
Mummyontherun86 Mon 05-Mar-18 00:08:35

The not knowing your DD well would bother me.
The writing thing would delight me! Where is this school? I’m also a teacher and am a big believer that early formal writing is counter productive to mid to long term writing success.

ladybirdsarelovely33 Mon 05-Mar-18 22:37:15

Why do you think it is counterproductive @mummyontherun86 ?

Goodenoughparent101 Tue 06-Mar-18 10:25:21

Read the Development matters document. Go to the section on writing. The end of year Early Learning Goal is written at the end of the bullet points.

ladybirdsarelovely33 Tue 06-Mar-18 14:34:53

Goodenough Thanks. I read that. Dd can do all those things so I guess I my question now would be, why isn't she being extended?
Or do Reception teachers not extend more able children?

Showergel1 Tue 06-Mar-18 16:35:53

I'm currently a supply teacher after working in year 1 for a couple of years and the expectations of reception teachers seem to vary wildly.
I've been in reception classes where their knowledge has been massively higher than expected (knowing one more one less of numbers uo to 30 with no visual prompts) and other schools where the emphasis is so skewed towards child initiated learning that children have no or very little GPC at the start of year one (and are somehow ELG just missed for writing.... Yeah right).
So I think it depends on the nature of the school.

No harm in discussing with the teacher that you feel she is ready for more formal learning or harder challenges but whether you get anywhere I don't know!

Goodenoughparent101 Tue 06-Mar-18 16:41:49

Yes look for the 'exceeding descriptors for EYFS this year'
After that look at key stage 1 writing objectives.
If your DD has all the ELGs for writing at this stage of the year, that is absolutely brilliant!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in