Talk

Advanced search

Teaching these days! Grrr

(113 Posts)
Piggywaspushed Fri 23-Feb-18 16:37:28

So fed up of not being able to shout at a child in peace (as it were) without a) getting a load of posturing and lip and b) their parents complaining (about the teacher, obviously).

I used to love a good shout and it used to be rather effective.

That is all.

custardcream1988 Fri 23-Feb-18 16:40:25

You don't need to shout to discipline.

In fact, shouting is one of the least effective forms of discipline. All you are demonstrating to the children is that you have basically reached your limit and you've nowhere else to go.

Qvar Fri 23-Feb-18 16:41:20

GF

Piggywaspushed Fri 23-Feb-18 16:43:38

Oh right custard : thanks for that.

Are you a teacher?

It worked pretty effectively at the time as the young person started behaving.

Piggywaspushed Fri 23-Feb-18 16:44:07

qvar I take it you don't mean me?

user1483387154 Fri 23-Feb-18 16:44:24

As a teacher myself I have never shouted at a child or felt the need to.

Piggywaspushed Fri 23-Feb-18 16:45:15

I can tell you now if one of my own children behaved the way certain young people do, or if I found out they had at school, I'd bloody well shout at them too.

Piggywaspushed Fri 23-Feb-18 16:45:40

secondary user ???

Elocutioner Fri 23-Feb-18 16:46:42

Shouting in what way? In a loss of control way?

Piggywaspushed Fri 23-Feb-18 16:47:35

Nope. Good old fashioned bollocking.

bakingdemon Fri 23-Feb-18 16:48:53

One of the things I sometimes miss from teaching is the ability to deliver a proper bollocking. Man is it satisfying to do occasionally. And done right it does work.

AmUsername Fri 23-Feb-18 16:49:53

Sorry to disagree but I've been teaching for 10 years and I don't think I've ever shouted at a student. Raised my voice to get attention when breaking up a fight etc but never at a particular kid.
Not my style, I suppose.

MsAwesomeDragon Fri 23-Feb-18 16:52:45

I still give a good bollocking occasionally. It's much more effective if it's rare, but sometimes it shocks them into realising they've gone way too far this time.

I think we only get away with it at my school (on the rare occasions we do bollock kids) because on the whole they are nice kids (not all of them, but the vast majority). And the vast majority of their parents are supportive of the school.

Piggywaspushed Fri 23-Feb-18 16:53:54

No and I do agree people have styles and I have an impressive shout. I use it very rarely. I assure you they sometimes deserve it!

I think it is the disempowering : can't send them out, can't shout, can't use sarcasm ... not sure what's left sometimes.

A student won't give over a phone for example and then when they eventually relent they get gobby, argue, say 'oh my God' (or worse...).

Just letting off steam really. I don't usually need to shout. And actually, there seems to be more of an issue surrounded what I got annoyed about, rather than how I reacted!

Piggywaspushed Fri 23-Feb-18 17:00:51

I think it's just Friday; I'm tired, it's been a looong week and you see it on other non teacher threads : the constant questioning of teacher professionalism, the teacher's right to do things - comment on uniform, reprimand in any way at all, confiscate phones, detain, tell off, pass comment , set homework, not set homework, breathe....

50andgoingstrong Fri 23-Feb-18 17:01:08

Disagree OP. Low and menacing. Far more effective IME. I only shout to get attention or to stop something in its tracks.

Although I agree that shouting can be effective if used sparingly. You need to stay in control though so you can switch it on and off at will.

If you lose it you have lost. You shout, they shout....

Piggywaspushed Fri 23-Feb-18 17:01:57

I'd like to see and awesomedragin in bollovking mode! Do you breathe fire????

I also think there is casual sexism at play here. Sometimes.

Piggywaspushed Fri 23-Feb-18 17:02:15

sorry dragOn. Duh.

Piggywaspushed Fri 23-Feb-18 17:03:52

Didn't lose it. Not one bit. Low and menacing had failed because it was being interrupted.

But, as I said, that wasn't really the bone of contention. It was what I was shouting about! Which was extraordinarily deserved!!

Piggywaspushed Fri 23-Feb-18 17:04:33

ps the child didn't shout.

MsAwesomeDragon Fri 23-Feb-18 17:11:23

I do breathe fire according to some of the kids, lol.

I don't shoot very often. I used to, but that was in a department with a very shouty culture (but not particularly consistent or effective), whereas my current department are much less shouty, but very consistent in dealing with bad behaviour. Shouting definitely has more effect now it's a rare occurrence.

AmUsername Fri 23-Feb-18 17:12:37

Don't worry Piggy, we all feel it on a Friday. I do agree with you about parents. Sometimes your kid has been a dick, just accept it!

ginfor you

KeiraTwiceKnightley Fri 23-Feb-18 17:16:16

I used to like giving a bollockagram assembly when my year group were letting themselves down. V satisfying.

Piggywaspushed Fri 23-Feb-18 17:20:29

I shall drink that later am . grin

OneOfTheGrundys Fri 23-Feb-18 17:21:14

Alternating hairdryer with soft and calm is what I like. Gives them a bit of a jolt but also makes clear that you haven’t ‘lost it’.

I give a hairdryer bollocking maybe once a week. To those I know it will work on!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: